Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2011, 10:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default High temps

I am trying to bring down my temperatures for my cpu and gpu. I am using a coolit eco to cool the cpu and it isn't doing a great job. My 1055t is only over clocked to 3.7 and voltage is at 1.43 but I am getting temperatures of 35-40 on idle and 60 on load. My Video Card has no voltage overclock and it hits 80 most times while gaming, 50's idle. I bought the custom side panel for my 600t case and installed 4 120mm fans as an intake in hopes of increasing airflow and decreasing temperatures. Any ideas? This was my first build and I am have been reading a lot about cooling and overclocking but I must be missing something.
Old June 28, 2011, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not totally sure because it is an amd cpu and video card but I don't think those temps are bad. Maybe the idle temp on your card is a couple degrees warm but load is fine. Really I don't see the need to get the temps much lower. Anyone else more familiar with the AMD cpu might chime in but I'm pretty sure that is perfectly fine temps as well.

In other words don't worry your temps look fine.

Old June 28, 2011, 10:30 PM
Banned
F@H

i dont see anything bad,actually 60 load is very very good overclocked.

same on the card,youre really doing great there. no worries.

and welcome aboard!
Old June 29, 2011, 04:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I haven't joined any other forums but this site is awesome.

I have been running the cpu at 3.86 forever with 1.46 voltage with out problems. I just installed the directx 11 patch for Crysis 2 and it not only killed my fps (from 60 down to 25) but it crashed my computer after about 30 minutes at 1080p. I am trying to find the source of the problem because it wasn't a BSOD crash. are there any reasonably priced after market coolers for 6950's?
Old June 29, 2011, 04:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well you have to realize you are running your graphics card overclocked, that is causing it to run hotter. Do you have the fan speeds set to auto or do you have it manually set? If its on auto that would be a reason why the graphics card may be overheating as the auto setting is more for lower noise then for lower temperatures. If you are running it manually, trying increasing the speed yourself. Either way, get MSI Afterburner, it'll allow you to track the temperature of your graphics card for a longer period of time, showing you peak temperatures, it'll also allow you to manually control the fan speed. Myself i run my graphics cards at 40% when I am not gaming and then bump it up to 70-80% when gaming otherwise my overclocked cards will overheat and cause a system crash/driver fail.
Old June 29, 2011, 05:04 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am using afterburner and have a custom profile similar to the one you mentioned. I think i am going to pick up the gelid icy cooler for 29 dollars fro ncix. I am just wondering in the review article it says that the vram heatsink is not compatible with 6970/50. I am not really sure what that means. Can I still use this cooler on this card?
Old June 29, 2011, 05:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

All in one liquid coolers like the CoolIT ECO ALC is not going to offer you great improvement in terms of temperatures due to the smaller hardware needed to make the unit compact. It is not possible to expect it to perform as well as a custom liquid cooling setup. There are even air coolers like the Noctua NH-D14 which does perform better than the all in one liquid cooling kit.

Like some have said, 60C at load is not that bad actually. 80C is pretty much normal as well for a GPU. You must consider as well the ambient temps of the place that you live. If it is warm, you can't expect very low temps like living in a snowy region. The sidepanel fans are not going to do much help to your CoolIT ECO if you set the CoolIT to blow out air. If you change the orientation to suck in air into the casing it might give some improvement. The extra 4x120mm fans will take care of the exhaust hot air dumped into the casing. Adding another 120mm fan for a push pull helps as well if you're currently using a single 120mm fan for the rad.
Old June 29, 2011, 06:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok that makes sense. I had a push pull setup but I found that the rad was getting clogged with dust after a few weeks. Maybe I should try it again. If I wanted to build a custom water loop for cpu and gpu how much one set me back? It is kind of daunting when looking at all the different options that are available.
Old June 29, 2011, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianfeng View Post
Ok that makes sense. I had a push pull setup but I found that the rad was getting clogged with dust after a few weeks. Maybe I should try it again. If I wanted to build a custom water loop for cpu and gpu how much one set me back? It is kind of daunting when looking at all the different options that are available.
any pic's of set-up the in case

wanted to know your fan placement in case ? are using side panels or open ?
Old June 29, 2011, 08:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

These are a few photos i snapped with a phone sorry about the resolution. Since my power supply isn't module I don't have a very clean looking case down bottom.

Not sure if any of this has an effect on the air flow.