Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2011, 06:25 PM
Rookie

Default Damaged my GTX 480s PCB :(

Today I was installing a Gelid Icy Vision HSF for my Evga GTX 480 and while I was unscrewing the heatsink I accidentally scratched the PCB a little (kinda deep). I didn't hit anything special but now when I boot up my PC I get a ton of artifacts (from BIOS and onward).

Here's a picture of where I damaged it:

Is there anything I can do? Is there any way I can fix it, I don't support Evga will honor the warranty?

Last edited by Featherawr; June 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old June 27, 2011, 06:31 PM
Banned
F@H

see if you can complete the trace.

or

if youre a bastuge lol and shut the frog up and send it in and you feel bad about it for the rest of your
life and i highly recommend against it? who knows :)
Old June 27, 2011, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not a pro by any means on these things, but I'm pretty sure artifacting is more a product of heat than a damaged PCB. I'd imagine if the PCB was critically damaged, it would fail to boot. Are you sure the heatsink is installed correctly with an appropriate amount of thermal compound (not too little OR too much) and there's good contact?
Old June 27, 2011, 06:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I'm not a pro by any means on these things, but I'm pretty sure artifacting is more a product of heat than a damaged PCB. I'd imagine if the PCB was critically damaged, it would fail to boot. Are you sure the heatsink is installed correctly with an appropriate amount of thermal compound (not too little OR too much) and there's good contact?
This. But at the same time depending on the pcb and layers he MAY have damaged a trace in the pcb.
Old June 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
Rookie

Also note that it artifacts during the BIOS as well, it's not really usable right now. It didn't look like I hit anything visible on the PCB, just a blank space.
Old June 27, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Like the others I would look first at the heatsink. Really just to factor out what you can I would go ahead and put the original heatsink back on, being extra careful while you do it. Then see if it is still giving you artifacts.

Old June 28, 2011, 05:12 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It sounds like you just nicked the ground plane (with something that high frequency, there would be little of the PCB not utilized), so some of that copper would be exposed. It would take quite a bit of force to break through one of the layers of the PCB to damage the inner traces. I agree with the above statements, it sounds like a heat problem (even during the bios check you graphics card has power, and could heat up very quickly).
Old June 28, 2011, 08:24 AM
Rookie

I reinstalled the stock heatsink and it's still artifacting. I also got a flash light and looked at the damaged portion of the PCB and it looks like there's some copper in there exposed :(.
Old June 28, 2011, 08:58 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Does your camera got a macro mode that can get a better picture?
Old June 28, 2011, 11:31 AM
Rookie

Click on the image for higher res.