Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2011, 06:19 PM
Rookie

Question Overclocking Failed. Error message on bootup.

Well, after fixing the issue of random freezing, now, just starting today. Whenever I start up my system, it begins to start up, then shuts itself totally off, then starts up again. But then I get a error message stating that " overclocking has failed " Press F1 to enter BIOS. What the heck, I have never even attempted to overclock my system, what do I do now. I cleared the RTC, but that did nothing, why would this just happen all of the sudden.

Actually, last night when I shut down, Windows said it was updating 1 of 8 things, there has to be a connection right?

Asus P8P67 PRO-B3 revision
EVGA GeForce 560ti
Intel i5 2500k
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 2x4
Win 7 home premium 64bit
Western Digital 1TB SATA3
Corsair 850TXV2
Old June 16, 2011, 07:52 PM
Banned
F@H

you might want to play with the ram speeds and voltages a bit more. drop it to 1333 :)

could be anything. leave it on auto for now, or put it on manual

auto does a great jobbe,usually.
Old June 16, 2011, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

if you've never overclocked, why do you have a K series Sandy Bridge CPU?

what is the BIOS reporting for your cpu speed, voltages, ram speed, timings and etc? screenshots would be good (with a camera, obv)
Old June 16, 2011, 09:41 PM
Rookie

Old June 16, 2011, 09:43 PM
Rookie

Old June 16, 2011, 10:34 PM
Banned
F@H

k,give the cpu 1.25v manually.

and set the ram to jedec 1333
Old June 17, 2011, 07:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
if you've never overclocked, why do you have a K series Sandy Bridge CPU?

what is the BIOS reporting for your cpu speed, voltages, ram speed, timings and etc? screenshots would be good (with a camera, obv)
I don't OC and I have had Extreme Editions and Black Editions. Doesn't mean anything mate, and suprisingly enough I have actually just enountered this problem as well on an AM3 build.

If I come up with anything I'll let you know,

ASUS board as well,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 17, 2011, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

your CPU is idling quite warm.. are you using the stock Intel cooler?

Hmm, I'd say do indeed give it a bump to 1.22 - 1.25 volts manually, also give your ram a bump up to 1.55, to see if that stabilizes things.
Old June 17, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I don't OC and I have had Extreme Editions and Black Editions. Doesn't mean anything mate, and suprisingly enough I have actually just enountered this problem as well on an AM3 build.

If I come up with anything I'll let you know,

ASUS board as well,

ST
I have seen this many times on Asus boards with the P35 / X38 and P45 chipsets.

It happens pretty reliably if you turn on your computer and the BIOS is partially through POSTing and you power off the PSU.

The next bootup will say Overclocking failed. Go into the BIOS, change nothing, then save. Your computer will boot up normally.

Basically for whatever reason the programming that allows overclockers to get back into the BIOS without clearing CMOS and erasing everything for a bad overclock is being tripped.

I would bet it's due to your system starting to boot up, stopping, then booting up again. I'm not sure why some systems do that (start booting, turn off, then on again) and others do not.

It is definitely not related to anything with Windows updates or your OS install.
Old June 17, 2011, 10:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I have seen this many times on Asus boards with the P35 / X38 and P45 chipsets.

It happens pretty reliably if you turn on your computer and the BIOS is partially through POSTing and you power off the PSU.

The next bootup will say Overclocking failed. Go into the BIOS, change nothing, then save. Your computer will boot up normally.

Basically for whatever reason the programming that allows overclockers to get back into the BIOS without clearing CMOS and erasing everything for a bad overclock is being tripped.

I would bet it's due to your system starting to boot up, stopping, then booting up again. I'm not sure why some systems do that (start booting, turn off, then on again) and others do not.

It is definitely not related to anything with Windows updates or your OS install.

Okay, thanks for the info.

I've used ASUS boards for years and I'll be completely honest, first Time I had ever seen this come up.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com