Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2011, 08:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Strange Question

This may be a peculiar question but is anyone familiar with Ford Rotunda IDS software? I am currently a Systems administrator for a few local Ford Dealerships and the Technicians use Netbooks with Proprietary Ford Rotunda "VCM" modules that hook up to the cars to run diagnostics.

These modules connect to the netbook via laptop and the other end connects to the data port of the car (generally located underneath the steering wheel). I have the IDS software installed on the netbook and updated as much as I could, but for some reason I can't get the netbook to recognize the device.

The other netbooks in the shop run Windows XP and are fully functional (Acer Aspire one), while this is a newer Aspire one running Windows 7 Starter. Consulting Ford directly is ruled out since we've opted for this netbook method. Ford only supports you if you rent their Panasonic Toughbooks that do literally the same thing (without all the bells and whistles like touchscreen panels etc etc).

Its a long shot, but I'm just seeing if anyone has any insight into this.

Thanks
Old June 3, 2011, 08:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

tried more than one car ?

using the same cable on the new laptop as on the old one ?

little confused here

"These modules connect to the netbook via laptop..."

so you use two computers ?
or you meant via cable ?

are you using the com port connection ?
Old June 3, 2011, 03:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

what i get here is you are trying to bypass all the proprietary bs of ford for the ODBII diagnostic tool.
you are probably running into the need for the proper codes from ford to make the software work.
if i am correct you could be in for a long hard road to figure it out. there has been a big huge thing going on in the states for a while now about the right to repair. if fords software is anything like international there could be a self destruct written into the code that will render it useless until updated by the parent server to ensure that those monthly rental fees keep rolling in.
Old June 3, 2011, 03:47 PM
Banned
F@H

drop xp in there and check again?

maybe it doesnt like the libraries or something? :)
Old June 3, 2011, 05:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

coleo hit the nail on the head. I've done work at a lot of mechanic shops for trucks and soforth, and all of their software requires a key to be inputted after they run a system scan to create an md5 key of their system. You email off the md5 hash, then the company emails you back the machine key.

The only thing I could recommend for the Windows 7 computer, is to run the diagnostic in compatibility mode, but Windows 7 Starter edition doesn't have that feature. Try reinstalling XP to rule out the operating system at least.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 8, 2011, 07:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I was prepped to go in Monday to format the thing to XP to see if it would make a difference and I walk into the technican garage to see one of the techs using it on a 2011 Ford F150... I have no idea what happened, but it works no.. problem solved but I'm still scratching my head... oh well.. lol.

Thanks everyone for your input.