Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud4 mobo (F6 bios)
Corsair H70
8GB G.Skill ripjaws ddr3-1600 ram cl9
60gb OCZ Agility 3
1TB WD Black SATA3
Seasonic m12 850w
Sapphire 6870
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

I followed the instructions on the gigabyte product page for setting up smart response exactly as described... but everytimme I enable smart response when I restart my computer I get a "disk boot failure"and can only get back into windows if I disable raid in the BIOS.

I've tried setting it up 3 times now doing fresh installs of windows each time and the same thing happens everytime.

I have the ssd in sata_0 and the 1TB drive in sata_1 ifthat matters.

Anyone have any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?
Intel i5 2500k stock, Corsair H70, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 mobo, 8GB G-Skill DDR3-1600, Sapphire 6870, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 1 x WD Black 1TB, 4 x Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB, Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Tower, Seasonic M12D 850w
Old June 3, 2011, 12:08 AM
Rookie

Did you find a fix to this problem? I'm currently having the same issue.

I have a Asus P8Z68-V Pro.
Old June 4, 2011, 07:15 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by coope1999 View Post
Did you find a fix to this problem? I'm currently having the same issue.

I have a Asus P8Z68-V Pro.

no I haven't yet. I was thinking it was a problem with my motherboard but the fact you're having the same issue on a different motherboard is leading me to believe it could maybe be some sort of compatibility problem.

What HDD and SSD are you using?
Intel i5 2500k stock, Corsair H70, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 mobo, 8GB G-Skill DDR3-1600, Sapphire 6870, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 1 x WD Black 1TB, 4 x Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB, Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Tower, Seasonic M12D 850w
Old June 4, 2011, 09:51 AM
Rookie

I'm using a SAMSUNG HD103UJ HDD and a OCZ-VERTEX2 SSD. The thing is when I first set it up in windows it was working fine. It just said I didn't have a bootable media when I reset the PC. I had to mess about with the RAID stuff to get it to boot again.

I have read in a few places about having to update bios and the actually drivers for ISRT. Not sure if it's relavent but look at the link below and my quoted text.

ASUS Official Z68 Chipset Motherboards - Support Thread - XtremeSystems Forums

"(1) Enter OS, and ensure Intel Smart Response Technology has been turned off under Intel Rapid Storage Technology interface.
(2) Install version Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to version 10.5.0.1026.
(3) Reboot the system, and update BIOS to version 0501, then reboot.
(5) Enter the BIOS setup screen, press F5 to load BIOS default, then change the Intel SATA Port to RAID mode.
(4) Boot into OS, and re-enable Intel Smart Response Technology under Intel Rapid Storage Technology."

Am I reading that wrong or is that suggesting I need to update my BIOS?

Hope we can find an answer soon as my SSD is just sitting here unused!
Old June 5, 2011, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by coope1999 View Post
I'm using a SAMSUNG HD103UJ HDD and a OCZ-VERTEX2 SSD. The thing is when I first set it up in windows it was working fine. It just said I didn't have a bootable media when I reset the PC. I had to mess about with the RAID stuff to get it to boot again.

I have read in a few places about having to update bios and the actually drivers for ISRT. Not sure if it's relavent but look at the link below and my quoted text.

ASUS Official Z68 Chipset Motherboards - Support Thread - XtremeSystems Forums

"(1) Enter OS, and ensure Intel Smart Response Technology has been turned off under Intel Rapid Storage Technology interface.
(2) Install version Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to version 10.5.0.1026.
(3) Reboot the system, and update BIOS to version 0501, then reboot.
(5) Enter the BIOS setup screen, press F5 to load BIOS default, then change the Intel SATA Port to RAID mode.
(4) Boot into OS, and re-enable Intel Smart Response Technology under Intel Rapid Storage Technology."

Am I reading that wrong or is that suggesting I need to update my BIOS?

Hope we can find an answer soon as my SSD is just sitting here unused!

I'm not sure if this would work for your motherboard since it's an ASUS but Gigabyte tech support told me after setting up smart response in RST I needed to change some registry values before rebooting. Below is exactly what they told me to do:

Quote:
Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0 (Win 7 / Vista ONLY)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Pciide\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV\Start

Install the OS, install the Intel Smart Response Utility, then make the above registry changes and then reboot (Don't reboot to set BIOS to RAID before making those registry changes)
Haven't tried it yet though.
Old June 5, 2011, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Does that mean you have to reinstall windows?

I can't be arsed to do that! Let me know if it works.

Maybe I should ask ASUS tech support.
Old June 6, 2011, 09:20 AM
Rookie

Exclamation Smart Response boot trouble on P8Z68

Hi. Stumbled on to this thread as I also had the no_boot problem. My symptoms were the same. That is, the build went fine, enabled the Smart Response Tech for the SSD and life was very good. My config:

Asus P8Z68 pro MB
An OCZ SSD
A 1T main drive

After about 2 weeks, one day, no boot. The OS couldn't see the RAID boot drive. I put a ton of time into loading apps, etc and the last thing I wanted to do was start over. Work deadlines are piling up...
Here's what I learned:
Somehow the communication of the SSD caching system to the OS gets corrupted. At least in my case, the main drive became corrupted. It wasn't easy to figure this out as I suspected a bad hard drive initially.
OS recovery methods didn't work as there was essentially no C: drive and there was no OS to find.

The fix:
The trick is getting into the Intel Smart Response boot ROM screen at boot then syncing and disabling caching. This bios screen does what the Smart Technology App does, plus some other features. This is tricky as there's barely a 1 second window when that screen pops up before the main bios hand off. You have to keep repeatedly beat on CTRL-I during boot (right after the POST beep) to get the Intel Smart Response ROM screen. Actually took a pic with my camera to read this screen and learn that CTRL-I was the secret. Took 5-6 boot tries to get this bios window. Assuming you can get there, there are 6 options. One of them #6 I think allows your to sync the SSD to the main drive. I did this as it said I was out of sync. Took about a minute or 2. Then, I was able to disable caching. OK, progress, so tried to boot. Nope.
Next, attempted OS recovery again. This time when it searched for an OS to fix, it returned with "Disk errors, run chkdsk". Cool. Went into CMD and could now see the c: drive. Ran CHKDSK /F /R and it fixed a bunch of stuff. Did OS recovery and it did some more fixes and asked to try booting. Re-booted and got the WIN 7 logo (sh*t my pants), however, asked to run another recovery cycle. Rebooted again and it fixed a ton more drive errors. Another boot and said it couldn't recover and asked to go to an earlier restore point. At this point, sure, I was dead. Another boot, poof, all the way up into win 7. Everything is there.
Ran the Intel Smart Tech app and re-enabled the SSD cache. Immediately kicked off a full WIN 7 image backup to an external drive as it's stupid (I was stupid) not to have a new backup image every day.

I didn't (yet) install any new P8Z68 BIOS code, or any new Intel Smart Tech BIOS. There are new versions out there.

Oh yeah, when I got into the Intel Smart Response window it said to use the up/dn arrow keys to select the options. Those keys didn't work and seemed there was no way to select. Went into college hacker mode and somehow figured out you have to hit the ctrl key, then the shift key to enable the up/dn keys to work. Then was able to proceed as above. Obviously, the are Intel BIOS bugs at work her. If the simple bios UI is buggy, not a big leap to think there are other functionality bugs.

Bottom line, this is still bleeding edge stuff. Suspect something got corrupted do to this SSD cache config. Hopefully, the BIOS fixes will fix this stuff, but haven't seen any mention anywhere.

Thanks for this thread. You guys got me aimed toward a solution, mainly that I wasn't the only person on earth with this issue.

Illbay
From the comments in this thread, I've got to believe this is a
Old June 6, 2011, 06:03 PM
Rookie

Illbay...What you posted just makes me think more of the worst!...If I ever do get this shit up and running I don't want to have to worry about my OS getting messed up after 2 weeks.....

I had to format my drive and reinstall Windows 7 after my problem and now really don't want t do it again.....I don't have any other drives to use as back up as my new mobo doesn't have an old-style IDE data socket on it for my old-skool drive....and I can't back up to a cache drive!
Old June 7, 2011, 11:16 AM
Rookie

"Illbay...What you posted just makes me think more of the worst!...If I ever do get this shit up and running I don't want to have to worry about my OS getting messed up after 2 weeks.....

I had to format my drive and reinstall Windows 7 after my problem and now really don't want t do it again.....I don't have any other drives to use as back up as my new mobo doesn't have an old-style IDE data socket on it for my old-skool drive....and I can't back up to a cache drive!"

-------------------------------------------------

Have some faith. I suspect the new MB and Intel BIOS will correct problems (I don't know for sure). In any event, these bugs will resolve.
You've gotta have some kind of backup plan. WIN 7 can make a full OS restorable image to a backup drive. You can get a internal 1T drive for ~$50 these days if you hunt around. A cheaper way out is to find an old external USB drive (maybe you have one), take it apart and swap your IDE drive into it.

My machine is happy again per earlier post. Been up for 2+ days, no issues. But I'm now doing a full image backup daily.

Good luck,
Illbay
Old June 8, 2011, 02:53 PM
Rookie

Guys,

I finally plucked up the courage to go ahead and try it again and I've rebooted twice now and it's booted up fine. Basically I updated my BIOS to the latest version and then I downloaded the latest IRST drivers. It was a bit touch and go when doing my BIOS as there was a bloody long pause on reboot and I've been bitten before by messing up a BIOS flash (had to send my ROM chip to Germany!). I had to re-set my BIOS settings as they went to default but I hadn't changed that many in the first place. Just remember that the SATA setting will go back to normal so change it to RAID before you boot and enable SSD caching.

Happy PCing and thanks for the support!