Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2011, 09:52 AM
Rookie

Default Squeal with new 460 GPU

NCIX forums are down, so trying here for now...
I acquired a 460 during the NCIX warehouse sale (return was never an option, can't reach the richmond location during their working hours before 7 days are up). It works great except that while folding it squeals an ear piercing squeal that would drive anyone crazy in very short time.
Card is at Stock

What I've done, tried
- UPDATED: Nvidia’s “deadly” flaw and how to fix it – no more squealing! « Theo’s Bright Side Of IT
Now, the above link didn't give too much information on how to apply, how much and where exactly. So I went and put nail polish on just the tops of the caps, and the tops of some black boxes, and also on top of 2 chips. This had from what I can tell little to no effect. Do I need to cover more? I'm paranoid about heat buildup in these components by completely covering them up
Now, I looked a bit further and did some more testing after applying nail polish
Launch a game (Guild wars)
- GPUz says GPU load is around 30-40%. No noticeable noise
- 3dmark06 - GPU load hits 100% in some of the tests. I head a rapid, low frequency clicking noise when I stick my head in the case. My room is noisy so I can't hear it unless my head is inside the case. Putting my ear flush against the PSU (silverstone ST50EF-plus - the one given rave reviews by SKYMTL) and it appears to be clicking as well, but the video card is definitely clicking too.
- start up folding - squeeeaaal! I can't tell if the PSU is squealing, but the card is definitely squealing. By taking a piece of insulating foam and placing it in between the PSU and the card, the noise is definitely lower when I place my head on the PSU side of the foam than when I listen on the GPU side
My room is loud. With an 12k BTU AC, multiple computers, and enough fans that make it sound like a wind storm, so there's plenty of noise. I'm used to this middle frequency fan droning, and have been for over 10 years now. But this squeal pierces everything, including the antec300 case closed up and gives me a headache in very short time.

Now, I still have yet to try
- Another machine. My 3 main rigs all have silverstone st50ef-plus, so if it's a design issue in that PSU, there's not much I can do there, but I will still be trying it in another RIG.
- I can try a machine that is on a UPS, but those machines are a PITA to get at/into, so that's a last resort. But really, the UPS doesn't do anything when it's just feeding power through since it's a consumer level UPS and isn't line interactive.
- Post pics of the board for feedback on what else I could try putting nail polish on...

Has anyone here had any luck/experience with actually dealing with squeal?
- what tools might you recommend to try modifying or underclocking the card to see if that makes any difference?
- hrmm... looks like ncix forums are back, here's a link to the thread over there for reference:
NCIX FORUMS - GPU Squeal - I've never dealt with ...
Old May 27, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Card squeal has been something has has existed since the original 8800GTX when they came out. Some cards are quieter than others and some make no noise at all.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:52 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Card squeal has been something has has existed since the original 8800GTX when they came out. Some cards are quieter than others and some make no noise at all.
I am aware of this, but I have never encountered it before and so am having to try and deal with it for the first time (I've owned in the past, 8800gt, 8800gs, 9800gtx+, gt240, 8800gtx and have not encountered any squealing... and they all fold...)
In this case, when folding (and only when folding) I get ear piercing headache inducing noise, and I am looking for advice to try and fix it from someone else who has had experience.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:52 AM
Banned
F@H

play with the sliders in precision, works great for me :)
Old May 27, 2011, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTheSlug View Post
I am aware of this, but I have never encountered it before and so am having to try and deal with it for the first time (I've owned in the past, 8800gt, 8800gs, 9800gtx+, gt240, 8800gtx and have not encountered any squealing... and they all fold...)
In this case, when folding (and only when folding) I get ear piercing headache inducing noise, and I am looking for advice to try and fix it from someone else who has had experience.
Not much you can do really. You can sometimes down clock the card and it'll go away.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:29 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Not much you can do really. You can sometimes down clock the card and it'll go away.
So no one here has ever had any success actually dealing with the noise through dampening or modifications?
Old May 27, 2011, 11:34 AM
Banned
F@H

i usually fix it with the slider thing,so no need to get me hands dirty :)
Old May 27, 2011, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Most of the time this is a PSU issue of oscilliation in the power circuitry. I have this issue with my Corsair HX620. Happened with my GTX 260, HD 5870 and now my GTX 560Ti.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Most of the time this is a PSU issue of oscilliation in the power circuitry. I have this issue with my Corsair HX620. Happened with my GTX 260, HD 5870 and now my GTX 560Ti.
So what you're saying is the PSU is the cause, and the GPU making noise is just the result?
- curious how does this video card pull power in such a fashion that causes the PSU to give it weird power. My 8800gtx technically pulls more wattage (5 more watts I believe TDP) and it folds without making the noise... Is there really a difference in how the power is pulled from the PSU?
Old May 27, 2011, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTheSlug View Post
So what you're saying is the PSU is the cause, and the GPU making noise is just the result?
- curious how does this video card pull power in such a fashion that causes the PSU to give it weird power. My 8800gtx technically pulls more wattage (5 more watts I believe TDP) and it folds without making the noise... Is there really a difference in how the power is pulled from the PSU?
Its not the PSU; sometimes it can be but most time its not.

I've seen this across the board with all combinations of psus and gpus and it always generally comes down to a coil whine on the gpu.

I had a original PC P&P power supply with a 8800GT and it'd squeal like a pig and that had nothing to do with the PSU