Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2011, 03:16 PM
Top Prospect

Default BSOD + BIOS Settings Reset

I popped in Grand Theft Auto IV and the Windows 7 Aero thing was trying to change it to the performance mode, and it did that about 10 times until my screens flickered and I got a BSOD. Then I shut the computer off, and it said "ASUS Failed Overclock" when I turned it back on. I quickly shut it off, then I checked the BIOS to find that EVERYTHING was reset. My voltages were off, and so were things like my boot priority. What the hell just happened? I got a message when I rebooted about the Blue screen, but I sent the problem to microsoft.. How do I bring it back up to show you guys? IDK what the hell is wrong with my computer but it's frozen 3 times this weekend and Its really worrying me. I used to play like 10 hours of games every day last summer for almost 3 months straight, and I only started getting this annoying freezing issue after getting my 2nd video card and another set of 4GB of ram (I have 8GB total). Please help! Thanks!!! Also obviously Im on the computer right now.. its fine but Im scared :S
Old May 22, 2011, 04:26 PM
Top Prospect

UPDATE: Now I cant play stupid GTA IV, it just crashes my computer every time -_- Anyways, not that it really matters, I dont play it much but it's my video card drivers that are acting up with the game because it used to work perfectly.. As for the bios thing, Its because I cut power when it was loading up ahahah LOL
Old May 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

GTA is buggy as H . yep on power shut down durring BIOS OD.

The nuber off BIOS OD ive had ion mine is like in the thousands. LOL

there should be a place in bios to save your settings.

Whats your system spec and BIOS temPlate ?
Old May 22, 2011, 07:15 PM
Top Prospect

Alright, well I couldnt really make out what you typed there no offense, but I just re-keyed in all of my settings. It is in fact GTA IV in fullscreen making my drivers malfunction and crashing my whole computer... I can run the game in windowed mode though thankfully :) But yeah they need to fix that BS.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well you need to figure out if its any of the new parts you got

was the game fine BEFORE you got the new parts ?
(did you have the game before that ? )

do other games make the computer crash ?
if yes, then something is wrong parts wise and can be the new parts you just picked up

i would first pull the memory out that you added and see if the game
works or not.

also you said 2nd video card ? so you have sli or crossfire now ?
it would be the next thing to pull out is the second card
Old May 24, 2011, 01:07 PM
Top Prospect

UPDATE: I rolled back my drivers, and everything works now. I have 2 5770s in Crossfire lol.
Old May 24, 2011, 02:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I got a BSOD crash dump in windows 7 a lot when playing games just a couple months ago, it would list different problems each time. After I did some searching in turned out to be faulty drivers. If it just started happening recently you could try a system restore.