Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21, 2011, 11:44 PM
MVP
F@H

Default SSD works in one computer but not in another

I have a toshiba SSD that I pulled out of a Lenovo laptop a while back. Put it in my Asus UL80, but now I picked up an Acer 3820 that I'm going to use. I decided to take the SSD out of the ASUS and put it in the Acer. The Acer won't recognize the drive, and when I pop it in a USB enclosure my desktop won't recognize it either. It still works in the ASUS when I put it back in though.

Confused and I need ideas
Old May 22, 2011, 12:33 AM
Banned
F@H

leave it be?

put it on a sata cable there,not usb,see what gives.

dont expect it to break any records either :)
Old May 22, 2011, 11:35 AM
MVP
F@H

May not be the best SSD out there but it's a darnsight better than the an HDD. I'll try it with the SATA.

I really want this to work if only because I'm giving my Asus laptop to my girlfriend and she'll want a big hard drive to put photos and crap on so the toshiba drive is going to go to waste lol
Old May 22, 2011, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The USB enclosure may not be able to power the SSD through USB bus power. You'll want two connectors or an external adaptor. Does it work in your desktop if you attach it as an internal drive (no enclosure)?

If you want to try in the Acer again, reset all BIOS settings to default in the menu, or try flipping AHCI vs IDE mode if you have that feature. If I got the right laptop, Acer Support: Downloads & Support Documents - Notebook / TravelMate / TravelMate 3280, your machine has a SATA 1.5 Gbps chipset which was built before SSD was even a thought to be placed in laptops. See if you have BIOS updates available as well.