Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2011, 08:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default No POST. Sometimes Powers On

My mom's computer is acting REALLY weird lately. Last month, she was using it one night and after she finished, she turned it off via Windows. Next night she powered it back on and it refused to power on no matter what I did with the power switch. The fans would spin for a second then everything just shuts off. In the end I gave up thinking it's a PSU problem. Last week, I somehow fixed the computer by removing the battery and it ran fine for a whole day. Shut it off and never touched it again. Today, my mom tried to use the computer and the same problem came back. This time, it powers on but it doesn't POST so I can't access the BIOS. I'm thinking of doing what I did last week, by removing the battery. Could a dead battery be causing these problems?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.5Ghz or so
ASUS M2N-E
OCZ Gold DDR2 2GB RAM
Western Digital 250GB SATA
LG IDE DVD-Burner
NVIDIA 9600GT
Antec Sonata III
Old May 16, 2011, 08:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
My mom's computer is acting REALLY weird lately. Last month, she was using it one night and after she finished, she turned it off via Windows. Next night she powered it back on and it refused to power on no matter what I did with the power switch. The fans would spin for a second then everything just shuts off. In the end I gave up thinking it's a PSU problem. Last week, I somehow fixed the computer by removing the battery and it ran fine for a whole day. Shut it off and never touched it again. Today, my mom tried to use the computer and the same problem came back. This time, it powers on but it doesn't POST so I can't access the BIOS. I'm thinking of doing what I did last week, by removing the battery. Could a dead battery be causing these problems?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.5Ghz or so
ASUS M2N-E
OCZ Gold DDR2 2GB RAM
Western Digital 250GB SATA
LG IDE DVD-Burner
NVIDIA 9600GT
Antec Sonata III
Not sure about the battery, but I can say that I had that M2N-E board myself, and it was a PITA to get ram working with it (if I recall, the max volts the board could provide was less than most ram modules required).

Could be that the wrong voltage is now being supplied to the ram due to your CMOS reset...try a new battery ($5), and see if you can get it to post and then set the ram voltage manually for the modules you have.

Might not be the issue but memory compatibility was a big issue with that board when I owned it so check the voltage.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 16, 2011, 09:19 PM
Banned
F@H

ive seen bad batteries do that,and more often screwed up bioses.

batteries are 3 for a buck or so at dollarama :)

it may be time for a nice i3 or whatever amd brings forth in a few weeks? :)
Old May 16, 2011, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Not sure about the battery, but I can say that I had that M2N-E board myself, and it was a PITA to get ram working with it (if I recall, the max volts the board could provide was less than most ram modules required).

Could be that the wrong voltage is now being supplied to the ram due to your CMOS reset...try a new battery ($5), and see if you can get it to post and then set the ram voltage manually for the modules you have.

Might not be the issue but memory compatibility was a big issue with that board when I owned it so check the voltage.
Yea I made sure to have the correct settings used every time. I don't think something's dead since it was able to run for the whole day last week. It was folding if you wanted to know, so it probably isn't the PSU either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
ive seen bad batteries do that,and more often screwed up bioses.

batteries are 3 for a buck or so at dollarama :)

it may be time for a nice i3 or whatever amd brings forth in a few weeks? :)
Does it have to be the same battery model that came with the motherboard? If I remember correctly, the model of the battery was CR2032. I got some spare CR20XX lying around because I thought my garage door opener died, but turns out the thing just didn't work lol.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:31 PM
Banned
F@H

always follow those 4 numbers. always.
better without than with the wrong one

but,without=it wont keep the date and bios settings,but it should work fine.
ive seen few exceptions to the above rule.again,perhaps a little i3 or the dozer equivalent
may be in the works there. if you fix it with the battery, put it on craigslist. tahts what i did with me moms
old system.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea I'm not building her another computer. There's more computers in this house than people already. Time to buy a new battery...
Old May 17, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Being a M2N-E and using OCZ memory I know those two combinations never really played well ever and could cause issues.
Old May 17, 2011, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Being a M2N-E and using OCZ memory I know those two combinations never really played well ever and could cause issues.
I've used that combination for years so I know it's fine.

I bought a new battery earlier today. Same model. Gonna give it a try after dinner and hope it works.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok new battery didn't work. Clearing CMOS didn't work. Swapping the GPU and RAM didn't work either. I think the BIOS got corrupted or something. Either way, looks like it's time to part out.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:59 PM
Banned
F@H

new pc!!!!!

swap everything besides cpu and mobo,just in case..though