Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2011, 11:39 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Cannot access hard drive: "disk boot failure"

Last night I put my system into sleep mode and this morning I could not get it to resume. I was forced to reset the computer and now that hard drive is no longer seen/detected by bios/boot disk/etc.

This machine has been running without issue for over a year. The specs are in my profile.

I have searched for and read countless forum posts, none with a solution that has worked for me. I have tried other hard drives (they all work), different sata cables, ports and power cables and nothing has led to an answer.

Are there other things I can try? Is my drive shot? Can information be recovered cost-effectively?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm at a loss.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you have another system, or have access to another system you can try this:

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB 2.0 Cable (STAE100) : Interface Cards - Future Shop

Not sure if that link will work for you. It is a $15 cable at the Futureshop (webid 10148173) from Seagate for their Go Flex lineup (pn# STAE 100). You plug one end into the hard drive, the other into a computers USB port. If your drive is still readable then you should be able to get any data you want off it.

I have had a similair experience with two laptop hard drives recently. One was totally dead, and unreadable. The other only the OS was corrupted and I was able to pull data off it.

Either way its a cheap way to check, cause once your done you can take it back to the Futureshop. I am saying the Futureshop here as I don't have a decent pc store in reasonable driving distance from me right now.

Here is a link to the Seagate page: Accessories | Seagate

The cable works with any sata drive, and as you can see on the second link Seagate mmakes the cable with USB 3.0, firewire and eSata ends.
Old May 12, 2011, 01:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Will that cable work with (be able to power) a desktop drive?
Old May 12, 2011, 01:44 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The second I saw this post I thought "Gigbayte board" and......yup.

Plug it into another port and reset CMOS.

If that doesn't work, plug it in, use another hard drive to boot into Windows and use HDTune to check the Health status of the possibly borked drive.
Old May 12, 2011, 02:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

@SKYMTL

Resetting the CMOS/switching port did not allow the drive to be detected. Because the drive isn't being detected, using HD Tune isn't a option for me. I can hear/feel the drive spin up but the computers doesn't know that it is there.
Old May 12, 2011, 04:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I can use the cable that I own to hook up my desktop hard drive to it, so it is still an option for you. Try everything else before you go spending money on this, for me it was the easiest way to tell me that the laptop hard drive had failed completely.

Take note that the USB 3.0 version of the cable is way more expensive...like $49.99
Old May 12, 2011, 08:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I purchased the cable to give it a try and it did not work. The computer doesn't detect a usb device and the hard drive doesn't spin up (it does spin when plugged-in internally).

I'm not sure where that leaves me, but I'm guessing that means that professional data recovery may be my only option if I want to salvage my data?

I'm pretty much willing to try anything at this point.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I may have missed it ... but have you plugged this drive into another PC just to see if it is even accessible? Do you have another PC to try? I imagine the drive is fine, and something else is causing your issue.
Old May 13, 2011, 06:08 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have plugged the drive into another desktop computer both internally and externally and there is no difference in result: the drive spins up but is not detected when plugged in internally and the drive does not spin up at all when plugged in externally though usb.

I don't understand why it spins buts doesn't get detected. There are no clicking or other "bad" sounds coming from the drive.
Old May 13, 2011, 06:49 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This is sounding more and more like a dead controller on the drive.

Tags
disk boot failure , hard drive , windows 7