Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2011, 09:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Usb 2.0 driving me nuts

I got a dual drive enclosure in the mail the other day to replace my rosewill one that was DOA when I got it. Now the problem is I bought a cheap 4 port usb 2.0 hub to test it out, well it worked once and then the usb port from the drive enclosures never fit it anymore it was always to big for it, it was also to big for any plugin on my pc as well. I even tried a more expensive 7 port usb 2.0 and I get the same problem, it won't fit properly it just doesn't want to work. Also I when I get it into the ONE front slot on my pc that it does fit I get a "a power surge has just occured, click me to safetly disconnect" message, Should I order a couple new cables? If curtis can chime in does AB Computers have any 6 foot male to female usb connectors, it's just the basic sorta square/rounded off on one end style.

Also a second question, how come even these "high speed usb 2.0" hubs when plugged into the PC still say "this could operate faster if plugged in directly?...I thought the new high speed 2.0 ports were able to run everything at full speed. Almost makes me want to bust out my usb 3.0 hub for this :).
Old May 7, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

You might want to provide pics of the said USB ports because it makes no sense that a usb plug wouldn't fit.. I mean even a USB 3.0 cable fits into a USB 2.0 spot.

Second if you are plugging this into the front ports of your case and not the rear they have a tendency to say this message as some older boards only provided 1.1 USB on the motherboard headers.

3rd yes we have a USB AM/AF 6' cable in stock.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:24 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

When you say "too big", what exactly do you mean? Do you mean its longer but shorterr? Narrower but "taller"? Your typical Type A to B is pretty standard.
Take a look at this page and tell us what type it is (ie micro usb, etc etc)

USB Connector Guide at Cables To Go

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 8, 2011, 10:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

USB B to A type, I don't know if it was squished slightly or something but I found another cable from a brand new enclosure that I've yet to use and it's working perfectly, just when I buy my next cable to replace the old one has enough length at the end cause this one sorta needs it to be a little longer for some reason. I know I got a replacement cable of these around the house somewhere but I can't find them anywhere, I'll find it soon enough though.