Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2011, 01:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Unhappy explorer.exe

Ok, so I've had this problem in previous installs before, never really fixed usually just re-format and re-install.
But right now my explorer.exe takes 25% cpu usage at all times, computers constanly laggy, if I wanna game I need to close it, so I lose my desktop, then re-open it later.
Other symptoms are super slow to open folders, and some files I just can't delete, like video files. It hangs on the progress bar saying it's being deleted indefinitely.
I've scanned with avg and avast, both having most recent virus data base.
Used avg's registry repair tool.
Nothing worked thus far.
Also looked up a couple online how-to's that say go to a certain registry entry and modify it or change to "whatever value"
None of these fixed it either.

TY for any input =)
I'm going to be doing a re-install on a ssd tomorrow or some time in the near future anyways, but I'd just like to know for future reference if this is a virus, or just a windows bug?
Old April 29, 2011, 01:41 PM
MVP
F@H

Download malware bytes and do a scan in safe mode to see if you find anything
Old April 29, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure that the Explorer.exe is located in the Windows dir ( Download Process Explorer and right click on explorer.exe, go to properties and kill the thread which has the issue. also to see where it is).Also which OS are you running and how many explorers do you see? also what is on your Desktop, I remember one time I had a Globe which Spun as a Desktop and that thing took up allot of juice.
when you download files do you scan them before you play them to make sure they don't have virus's in them?
Old May 2, 2011, 08:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok, with process explorer it sort of fixed itself. When I closed and re-opened explorer.exe with regular task manager, it did the same stuff, but with process explorer it functioned normally, wierd.

Tags
explorer.exe , registry , slow , virus