Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2011, 11:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Just nuked my HDD and windows folders

So, I have my C:\ drive 100% intact, but the drive I nuked (E:\) had my user folders and windows folders such as: My Documents, Downloads, Videos, AppData (hidden folder), TEMP folder, etc.

What I have put back to how I want it (folder location, windows association) are:

Contacts, Desktop, Links, Pictures, Searches, Movies, Documents, TEMP and that's about it...

My music, Downloads, AppData, and [Libraries] folder are not working the way I want yet... I want AppData to NOT be on the C:\ drive and I still don't have my downloads, Music, and [Library] folders back to the way they should be (those for sure...). EDIT: My library folder seems to be working now...

The irony is that I was trying to set up an internal backup drive and nuked everything on my "storage HDD" which happened to have my TEMP folder, some AppData folders, My Documents (biggest lost by far as I saved the documents, but none of the settings for my computer games/programs), Music, Downloads, some extra installed programs, etc. I got my HDDs set up, now I just need to fix some of the file associations/folders that got raped because they were associated with the HDD that got nuked!

Last edited by draemn; April 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old April 25, 2011, 12:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What I'm wondering is if there is something to aid me with a 'complete fix' so I don't have to manually fix every single folder and hope I got everything on my own. Does anyone know of a good way to just get windows to re-create/associate all these folders/things back to the way they should? I tried repairing with the install disk to little avail.
Old April 25, 2011, 09:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Easiest solution I can think of, create a new user account and use that instead. Then delete the current user account once you've copied over any files you need from it.
Old April 25, 2011, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ugh, that sounds more time consuming and difficult... I have sooo many settings that I would have to change/tweak on a new account and I've already restored 80% of the folders back to the way they are. And copying all those files? Also, windows forces you to basically re-install programs when you do the above method (not all, but some).
Old April 25, 2011, 12:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

As I recall on Windows 7 Libraries you would have Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos as default. Those 4 folders can link to any folders that you want to by right clicking on the folder 'Documents' for example > Properties > Include a folder.

Those files are not necessary to be present on the C:\ drive to appear in Libraries. However, if you want to rearrange them under your personal folder where there are My Pictures, My Music etc then you would need to transfer them 1 by 1 manually.
Old April 25, 2011, 01:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm also having problems now as google chrome doesn't work properly... on a few pages render/display properly and the rest of the pages don't render/display and I've had to resort to using IE 9 for many websites. I tried to uninstall/reinstall chrome and nothing was fixed. I know there is a bit of a problem with flash, so I will re-install that, but images aren't coming up often and pages are in their 'raw' format that you sometimes see when you initially visit them.
Old April 25, 2011, 02:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I am not very familiar with Chrome but it could be caused by a version that is somewhat problematic. Try installing an older or newer version. I do not rely on a single browser only and I am using 4 different browsers in case of problems like this.
Old April 25, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Chrome is a bit of a 'black box' browser that makes it extremely difficult to actually have any level of fine grain control over :/ I've been using it because I can install/sync to my school computers and firefox used to be so insanely slow, even on a SSD with loading times and such... I may just give up on chrome 100% with this experience.

Still looking to see if there is a good "scan my OS and fix shit" program for windows. On my mac, there is a go to application "OnyX" that basically is a one stop shop for all your maintenance/repair.
Old April 25, 2011, 06:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

None of those one-click-fix programs work that I'm aware of.

As for Chrome, it installs to AppData\Local (maybe Roaming) and you nuked those folders. I imagine it left behind some registry keys that didn't get removed/updated properly.

I imagine you've corrupted a large portion of the HKCU which is why I suggest just making a new account. Though you might still have issues even after doing that as I'm not quite sure what you did to move your AppData folder (as that's typically not recommended).

You can go into RegEdit and attempt to fix the keys under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\ShellFolders and HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\UserShellFolders. Maybe there's some more that may need fixing too, but those should be the main ones.
Old April 25, 2011, 11:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I did manually fix most of the folders in the registry (the folders noted above), but I haven't really done much with AppData at the moment, but it seems to have put back AppData folders into E:\AppData that were there before nuking my HDD. I'm not sure what was wrong with chrome as a re-install didn't fix it, so I just moved over to firefox since ie was working and I've been a firefox in the past.