Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22, 2011, 06:40 PM
Rookie

Default Help! No display on boot until desktop

Last night I ran prime 95 for about 9 hours on my new sandy bridge build (i5 2500k, p8p67 deluxe, asus560ti, g.skill 8gb ram) at 4.5ghz and 1.25v without any problems, I turned it off for a few hours afterwards. Nothing unusual.

This morning after turning on my computer it attempted and failed post a few times, reset itself, and posted normally into windows. I was not too concerned because the same thing happened the morning before without any complications.

However, since then there has been no display until windows desktop.

Normally on startup, after posting I would see: ASUS motherboard splash > Windows 7 splash > Windows 7 loading (only sometimes because of SSD) > Desktop

At the moment I hear a single beep and afterwards my display remains inactive until about 20 seconds later when the desktop pops up. The desktop isnt showing up any slower than before either. Though I haven't actually timed how fast my computer boots to desktop, there isn't any significant difference before and after this problem
If I need to go into bios I basically press the del button after powering on without any idea of what's going on until eventually the BIOS pops up.

I have tried:

1. Restarting the computer many times, each time undoing a change in the BIOS that I had made including turning off PLL overvoltage. I also tried giving the cpu slightly more voltage thinking that it was a problem with my overclock.

2.Unplugging everything except mobo, gpu, and ram to rule out some hardware and the OS. This results in the same blank screen for about 20 seconds until a message pops up saying I have no boot device with a button to go into BIOS. (No mobo splash, or anything else)

3. Reseting BIOS (version 1505) settings to default and clearing CMOS to make sure it isn't because I messed up something in the BIOS. Same no display issue.

4. Reseating the GPU and Memory.

5. Testing my monitor to make sure it was working

Now I'm out of ideas. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the OS settings or BIOS. It doesn't seem to be a hardware error either since everything still works fine, there's just no display for the first however many seconds before desktop.
I'm thinking that the gpu just isn't processing anything or getting signals until desktop... but I dunno what kind of problem that is or how to fix it
Old April 22, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You lookining fore the spash screen. ?
Cold boot computer, On mine "Delete" to get into bios.
Some wre in there show splash screen.

Unlessyou have to get into bios. Dont worry.

ASUS are fast into Windows its a feature of how they have set up the bord in Bios. Don't worry be happy.

EDIT :Welcome to HWC
Old April 22, 2011, 07:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
You lookining fore the spash screen. ?
Cold boot computer, On mine "Delete" to get into bios.
Some wre in there show splash screen.

Unlessyou have to get into bios. Dont worry.

ASUS are fast into Windows its a feature of how they have set up the bord in Bios. Don't worry be happy.

EDIT :Welcome to HWC
Thats the thing, the option for showing the asus splash has always been on just at one point it decided to not show it ALONG with the other screens like the windows spash and loading screen. The settings for showing these screens have always been on. I also cant see any dos messages pop up unless they require my input.
Old April 22, 2011, 07:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried a different DVI port on your video card? Usually one is primary and the other secondary. The secondary port might not turn on until the drivers load (at the login/desktop screen).

Also try running "msconfig" (just search it in start menu) and go to the Boot tab. Make sure there's no check beside "No GUI boot".

Maybe your monitor isn't set to the proper input by default and is scanning (which usually takes some time) and once it determines the right input, you've missed all those screens?
Old April 22, 2011, 07:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Have you tried a different DVI port on your video card? Usually one is primary and the other secondary. The secondary port might not turn on until the drivers load (at the login/desktop screen).

Also try running "msconfig" (just search it in start menu) and go to the Boot tab. Make sure there's no check beside "No GUI boot".

Maybe your monitor isn't set to the proper input by default and is scanning (which usually takes some time) and once it determines the right input, you've missed all those screens?
Yes I have tried both DVI ports, same problem on both. I was using the primary when this first happened. It was working as it should before just now for some reason.

And yes no GUI boot is unchecked, along with all the spash screens. The settings are default and all these screens used to and should be appearing. The problem is that they're not.

EDIT: Also, the monitor will show screens that require my attention and then go back to not showing the other screens. For example the "do you want to start windows normally or under safemode etc" screen still shows up when I dont shut down properly, but as soon as I press enter it goes back into being blank/black until it reaches desktop. The same thing with BIOS screens, if I dont/cant interact with whatever is on the screen I can't see it.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Were you able to try the monitor on a different PC, or use a different monitor with your PC?

I'm assuming it's either the video card or monitor that isn't working properly.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Were you able to try the monitor on a different PC, or use a different monitor with your PC?

I'm assuming it's either the video card or monitor that isn't working properly.
I tried my monitor on another pc and It worked fine. I have not yet tried a different monitor. Since I don't another video card handy how else could I make sure that it is a GPU error, and what can I do about it?
Old April 22, 2011, 10:29 PM
Banned
F@H

click that annoying memok button a few times after youve reset it?

edit : wait,it boots right? ok then, dont worry about it :)
Old April 23, 2011, 06:44 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
click that annoying memok button a few times after youve reset it?

edit : wait,it boots right? ok then, dont worry about it :)

Yeah It boots, overclocks, is stable and otherwise fine. Just that some splash doesn't show up when it's supposed to. I can live with the problem as is since it's barely a problem, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign that there was some hardware error that could get worse.

And if it was a problem with a software setting I wouldn't mind fixing it either.
Old April 23, 2011, 08:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried doing some burn-in tests on the GPU? Like FurMark or MSI Kombustor?

Seems like the monitor is okay so my only other guess would be GPU.