Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2011, 05:34 AM
Top Prospect

Default Ever use a hammer to fix your computer?

I was very close to utilising my framing hammer as a means to repair my computer last night This was just too weird of a story to not post it.

I have had a bit of bad luck recently with a "straight forward" install to windows 7. My $60 new hard-drive and a copy of Windows 7 I had, turned into a new Dell 23" monitor and almost a whole new system. The monitor had a bad DVI port, known issue that I had fixed in the past but finally couldn't this time. My wife was not happy last night as I had not re-installed all her music software and playlists so I was frantically working to get them back for her last night. During this I was fiddling at the back of the computer to plug in a USB device. I sat back down to find the computer totally locked up, but no BSOD. Checked everything and the only way I could make anything happen was to pull the power cord.

This led to about an hour of the computer not powering on at all, sometimes being able to get to the BIOS or it simply powering up to a black screen. But most of all it wouldn't turn on at all. At this point I was looking for my hammer but tried reseting the CMOS a few times to no avail. As I got ready to give up I touched the back of the case around the USB inputs and the computer fired up?!! I ran over to see if I could reset the BIOS and heard the hard-drive stop spinning I then put my finger back on the same spot at the back of the case and the HD started off again. Through a series of finger rolling and pushing the computer loaded to Windows for the first time in over an hour in fits and starts.

Turns out I originally shifted the metal surround at the back of the case and simultaniosly pushed the jumper to far in on the BIOS reset pins on the back of the mobo. The end result was the the 3 pins for BIOS reset were now contacting the metal and creating a wierd circut preventing even turning on the computer or accepting BIOS changes.

So yeah, I was giddy as a school girl as I had the laptop up and running on NCIX and working on convincing the wife why I needed to build a new system. Perhaps this isn't funny but you had to be there, pushing your finger on the case to see the stupidity/freak accident/humor in it all
Old April 21, 2011, 06:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for sharing.
I can't say I used a hammer to fix computer issues before, but I have used pliers, ramming with a screwdriver, and other things that wouldn't be considered "careful". One instance of that is my home server - the Coolermaster PSU (yep, now I agree with most here to never buy PSU from them) sometimes makes a loud griding sound with the fan. My solution is to hit the fan with the tip of a screwdriver to realign it
I even turned the PSU "upside down" on my bottom-mounted PSU case to make it easier to strike the fan when it wants to make noises!
(btw that fan is still spinning as I type this post, so apparently hitting it doesn't quite stop it)
Old April 21, 2011, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty D View Post
My wife was not happy last night as I had not re-installed all her music software and playlists so I was frantically working to get them back for her last night.

They bitch when you spend too much time working on your rig but heaven help you if their Facebook etc. is not working.
Old April 21, 2011, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
They bitch when you spend too much time working on your rig but heaven help you if their Facebook etc. is not working.
Rgr that, fvcking facebook honestly I think 99% of my hatred of facebook come from fixing famdams computers just so they can browse facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old April 21, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ahahah !

Yes I have.Both a framing hammer and a sledge hammer.

On the same repair job , the motherboard also required the use of a jumping jack,a hydraulic press ,a blowtorch and a chisel.

problem solved 100%

Old April 21, 2011, 05:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

In the old days, we didn't need hammers as the parallel port cables were well secured to the case... you'd be amazed at how far you can "throw" a mid-sized case when you swing it around your head........ ;)

Hammer??? Nope, but I have had a set of channel locks in there for something I was getting tired with...... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 21, 2011, 05:22 PM
Banned
F@H

very nice. hope the wife understands why you need an unlocked cpu to go with that new build!

let us know what you need it for and what the budget is, we'll surely jot down something for ya!

funny guy :D
Old April 21, 2011, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Never to fix, only to destroy.
Old April 21, 2011, 07:00 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Ahahah !

On the same repair job , the motherboard also required the use of a jumping jack,a hydraulic press ,a blowtorch and a chisel.

problem solved 100%

Oh the memories...
Old April 21, 2011, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Ahahah !

problem solved 100%

How's the 680i holding up anyways? Any time I want to experience a laugh so strong it hearts I look for your thread. After my experience with the 780i I can relate on a very close level lol.