Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2011, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default 560ti toasted?

I think my evga 560Ti SC is toast. We had a power outage today. After trying to restart my screen would display the bios, boot into windows for a brief moment then the monitor would go into powersave mode. I tried another reboot and this time when windows tried to boot, I got a brief kaleidoscopic color flash that actually startled me. I disconnected my monitor from the 560 and connected to my gtx275 which was in the third slot as physx. It booted up on the first attempt. The 560 is not detected in device manager, gpuz or evga precision. I then swapped the cards around to make sure the first pcie slot wasn't the issue. The pc again booted on the first attempt. Still no 560 detected in device manager, gpuz or precision. I've only had it for 3 weeks so it is still under NCIX 30 day replacement. i haven't tried it in my gf's rig yet but I have my doubts.

What's the verdict? Thanks

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old April 18, 2011, 05:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried reinstalling the latest beta drivers, the power outage may have corrupted the drivers for your card, rare but i've heard it happen before.
Old April 18, 2011, 05:11 PM
Banned
F@H

if the card is not phisically detected then yeah its possible. do try it in another rig just for kicks

question is, how come its the only one thats been zapped? psu shouldve toasted before it...
Old April 18, 2011, 10:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, the card is not toast. I tried it in my girlfriend's pc and it booted right up. Now I'm having more issues. Freezing, checksum errors, the occaisional blue screen, you name it. I'm going to do a fresh os install tomorrow after I swap out my psu. If all is well after that, I'll reinstall the original and see what happens. I also noticed one of the pll phase led's on my board is flickering. It never used to.

I forsee a UPS in my immediate future...

Old April 19, 2011, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

what bios version using on MB
Old April 19, 2011, 09:59 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Board could be fried. Try a cmos reset, see if that fixed the problem.
Old April 19, 2011, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Board could be fried. Try a cmos reset, see if that fixed the problem.

or PSU troubles
Old April 19, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, what a pita this bug is turning out to be. I did a fresh windows install this morning. Everything was working fine then out of the blue the monitor powersave bug hit. I thought to myself monitor maybe? I plugged in my gf's monitor and same issue so it's not the monitor. I then swapped the 560 for the 275. Voila, no issues. So I do a few random restarts and still no issues.
I then swapped the cards again and connected my monitor to a dvi port instead of hdmi on the 560 thinking the hdmi port might be bad. 560 works with dvi.
I then reconnected to the 560 hdmi port and it's fine. WTF! So here I am typing and waiting for this power save bug to hit again.

I'm going for a three drink lunch and ponder a bit over this. I'm leaving my pc running and see if happens while I'm gone. This is the worst bug I've faced since the days of northwood. I shall prevail (with help of course...)

Old April 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
Banned
F@H

hey maybe they hate each other? :p

if its perfectly fine, then leave it in the other pc. you've done enough swapping.
and you cant rma it if its perfectly fine in the other machine.also....it cant be power
supply related,unless those hate each other too. a 275 and a 560 eat around the same wattage.

good thing its not an amd card or else!!! :D
Old April 19, 2011, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

remove that 275 ..use only 560ti .remove drivers using driver sweeper .then install the drivers.(just try 260.99whql drivers .)