Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2011, 11:50 PM
Rookie

Default Is my monitor toast?

Well, was hoping this wouldn't be my first post here but just wanted to be sure before I run out and get a new monitor . .

I have a 4 year old Viewsonic (VG1930wm) and while I was halfway typing a post, this happened:
- screen went blank, BUT power indicator showed monitor was still on
- so I turned the monitor off then on. Screen came back but resolution had changed to minimum.
- after 5 seconds, screen blanked out again. I kept switching off, switching on to get it back, but now it would only show the screen for 2 seconds before blanking. All this time, the indicator still shows it's on!
- checked the cables, hard reset the computer. It gets to black "Windows 7" then blanks, then comes back for the blue "Logging in" screen, then blanks again.
- managed to get the resolution back to normal over many 2 second intervals. Notice the screen gets a bit dark before blanking now.
- so I turned off everything and left for an hour to let it cool off. When I tried again, still same problem.
- switched to a really old CRT (I think it's from the 90s . .) and works fine! (Oddly, the screen looks a bit nicer on this CRT, weird . .)

BTW, I don't have a video card, just have my monitor hooked up to my motherboard.

So any idea what's going on, and if there's anything else I can do to fix it? If not, do you know any reliable brands that may last longer than 4 years? My other Viewsonic lasted only 2 years, nice screens but the reliability is starting to bug me . .
Old April 14, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Check your display settings, specifically your refresh rate.

It's not uncommon to get better image quality on a CRT than on a modern LCD. (with the exception of a few IPS and VA panels)
Old April 15, 2011, 01:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

4 years of use is pretty good for a LCD. Although it could be better but I'd say it is good. I used to use a CRT monitor before and it lasted 8 years I think but it had to go because it is too heavy and screen is going crazy. The color on a CRT is better than a TN panel monitor, that is why I skipped TN panels and went straight to IPS . As for reliability I don't look at brands anymore as any brand can fail. I mainly look at monitor brands now for the image quality rather than reliability. You could stick with Viewsonic or get a different brand for a change.
Old April 15, 2011, 01:22 AM
Banned
F@H

try the basic theme,just in case. 16 bit too. look up the refresh hertz thingie, put it to 59 or 60 if its something else

plug the power cord in,take it out,in,out,do it liek that for a little while, like 5 minutes. else,get something new :)

ps welcome aboard!
Old April 15, 2011, 07:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

sounds to me that cath inverter failed or moniter power caps

try using a flashlight (45-60 degree's) when screen is blank, if see your desktop then bulb/inverter has issues.

remove power and take off back panel, look for swellen caps , dot down the info of bad units, go to local electronic supply pick up parts
Attached Images

Old April 16, 2011, 01:16 AM
Rookie

Thanks a bunch for all the advice everyone! Here's what else I did today:
- checked the hertz which was fine.
- changed the cable, still didn't work.
- did the flashlight thing, no desktop seen. The screen is completely off, minus the light which says it's on.

I might try opening it up tomorrow as KaptCrunch suggested, but otherwise, yeah, answer is my monitor is toast.

Monitors are usually the most expensive part of my computer so I guess I was hoping it would outlast my PC. All my CRTs in the past have done that, minus one which still made it 6 years. The CRT I had to switch to now is 15 years old and still looks great (just realized it's made by Viewsonic too!). Anyway, I'll just stick to this old CRT then until I find a good replacement. Thanks again.