Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
Rookie

Default Weird crashing

so, a few weeks ago I was here talking about how i was getting a bunch of different blue screen errors whenever I would try and play a game for more then 10 minutes (Warcraft, Homefront, Crysis 2). Got a lot of responses, good ones at that, about driver updating, bios updating, doing a memory test, and one answer was, change my memory frequency from Auto, to 1333, because my ram was 1333, and auto might have kicked it up higher (cause the bios says Auto **two lower numbers**, 1333, and 1600). I updated to a SSD and wiped windows, and it SEEMED as though the bluescreen stopped, well they just came back, so i changed the frequency just now from Auto to 1333.

Haven't been testing long, started Warcraft and ran it for 5 minutes, even opened 2 warcrafts (mine and gf account) and duel boxed in Stormwind. Everything seems to be going fine.

But there is kind of a twist, 1, why would it do this NOW, and not 5 months ago, and also, whenever i run youtube at fullscreen, I get a driver fails and the computer restarts, pretty much the same thing it does in all my games. I haven't tried Youtube fullscreen since putting it to 1333, but I cant see why it would have an effect on it.

Just want to add in this is NOT a overheating problem or a driver problem. I've watched my temps, and they don't go over 55c, and I've updated my bios, motherboard and video drivers.
Would the problem be that since its set to Auto, it tryed to make it 1600 and my 500w power supply doesnt have enough to OC it to that? Thats the only answer i have come up with, But it just doesn't make sense of why NOW, and why youtube fullscreen.

Specs
COOLER MASTER HAF X
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition 3.5GHz
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 890GX SATA 6Gb/s
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series 240GB SATA II
Western Digital 640GB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
ENERMAX Liberty 500W ATX12V
Old April 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
Banned
F@H

you wanna be sure? set it to 1066 or anything lower. watch the timings, it may play with that too.
voltage, if it needs 1.65 and it gives it 1.5....hmmm......

and then if all is good and it completes a round of 3dmark but still crops out on youtube? probably software...

do try a live os before you tinker with anything else though, if it craps out there = hardware/and or settings
Old April 12, 2011, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

what OS using, this link for win7 64 bit are chipset, busmasters AHCI for Windows 7, South Bridge Driver

if were me i'd format and use the current drivers (F6 install while loading OS)

Last edited by KaptCrunch; April 12, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old April 13, 2011, 05:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

One of your potential problems is the very poor driver support written by AMD for the HD 6870 (i personally had issues galore with my crossfire pair). What are the stop codes, they typically mean some kind of hardware issue from unaddressable RAM memory slots (aka ram with bad sectors), to can't read hard drive sectors (aka bad hard drive), to unstable overclocks (not enough voltage to key parts for the motherboard or cpu). Knowing the stop codes would allow us to be able to help you better/faster