Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2011, 09:59 AM
Rookie

Default PC does a double start?? in a way.

Long story short my build is, i7 2600K, ASUS P8P67 Pro, Zotac GTX 570, AX 850, corsair vengeance 8GB.

My build worked fine until yesterday when I replaced my motherboard with the B3 version.

The problem, if I let my PC go into sleep mode when I start it back up I have no connection with my LCD but the tower starts up.

Second problem, When I turn my PC on it will start up for 5 seconds shut down on its own and then 5 seconds later starts back up on its own, after this happens my pc is fine until a let it go into sleep mode.

I have done heavy gaming with it and never get any problems my temps stay in the 30's (H70/MX-4 with Scythe gentle typhoon in a 800D, all three top fans are typhoons pulling air in)

So I don't think its a heat issue or power because I have no problems once up and running.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for any help.
Old April 10, 2011, 10:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you have your system overclocked, the bios is checking the boot up stability, which is the first 5 seconds or so, then once its shuts down and turns back on it boots knowing that at least the system will boot properly.
Old April 10, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am wondering if this might have something to do with a setting in the bios maybe check the settings inside there -I am only guessing -.
Old April 10, 2011, 10:18 AM
Rookie

I only have it set to ASUS Optimal in the UEFI (if you call that OCed) but that being said when I first started my PC after the install it was on normal mode and started first try. I will set it back to normal mode and see if that fixes my start up. Still my PC never did that before with the old motherboard set to ASUS optimal.
Old April 10, 2011, 10:31 AM
Rookie

Ok that did not fix the problem, when I went into normal mode my PC started for 1 second and shut down for 5 seconds and started back up. So all normal mode does is shave off 4 seconds on my first boot up. Do the bios (UEFI need updating?) Again thank for the help.
Old April 11, 2011, 07:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

question was a fresh install on new MB or kept old data on HDD's

mite be

P8P67 Pro 1502 BIOS
1. Fix system maybe hang if the NEC Chip F/W is broken.
Old April 11, 2011, 07:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

There is a setting in the Asus UEFI BIOS that will disable the double POST. A friend of mine who has the Asus P8P67 Pro as well had this double POST and I looked through the BIOS and there is a setting that can be changed to eliminate this. I changed it and restarted and it boots like any other PC that I have seen. Can't really tell you what and where exactly it is as that was a problem solved more than 3 months ago and that rig is not mine. I did it in the first try but you could tinker around with the Advanced Settings to remove the dual POST.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know that on my system when I boot it will pause and wait for my sound card which makes a tick sound and then my pc will continue to boot , I wonder if you have some hard ware that is conflicting maybe go through the long process of disconnecting all the none essential hard ware and then reboot see if this changes anything if it does then add one piece of hard ware and reboot until it happens again this would point you to your problem if it is hardware related
Old April 11, 2011, 05:08 PM
Rookie

KaptCrunch- All I did was remove everything off my old MB and put my new one back in (cross shipped) I didn't even touch the HDD or SDD just unplugged them from the MB (not 100% sure what your asking)

dma0991- I will look through my Bios

Shadowmeph- it doesn't wait it shuts down and the restarts. I have 100% the same PC other then a B3 version on the P8p67 Pro MB my old system with the old MB worked 100% so I can't see why my hardware is conflicting now because all I change was a P8P67 pro to a P8P67 Pro B3 Again thank you all
Old April 11, 2011, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

revisions are different hardware

so best is back-up your data and format HDDs reinstall OS
with current Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver (F6 in OS setup) from intel site for your MB

READ this NOTE from asus

Last edited by KaptCrunch; April 11, 2011 at 05:37 PM.