Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Help diagnosing hardware problem (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/42360-help-diagnosing-hardware-problem.html)

NOIZE April 8, 2011 10:42 PM

Help diagnosing hardware problem

Lately I've been losing display and I am unable to get it back without restarting (the fans are still spinning though) whenever I play games watch videos or even if I let the computer go to the screensaver, the weird thing is it boots with windows aero fine but games, videos and the screensaver cause the display to go out within minutes. I thought it may be a driver problem since I had recently upgraded to catalyst 11.2 so I tried uninstalling, restarting and reinstalling with no luck then I tried rolling back to 10.1 I think it was and did the same still with no luck. Now I tried 11.3 same thing.

So then I figured it was probably my GPU was dieing so I ordered a new one and got a xfx 5830 on sale from NCIX. But today I found that it also happens within a minute or so when I play music and then the display cuts out and then after about 15 seconds the music cuts out too, I also tried booting into safe mode and after a few minutes the display cut out which I find extremely weird because it never does that when I do a normal boot as long as I don't run any games.

Now I'm a bit nervous because of it cutting out while playing music because I have integrated sound so I'm thinking this might mean the motherboard was the problem. I don't have much experience with computer hardware stuff so maybe you guys can give me some advice but right now I fear the worst I can replace a GPU easy, but a motherboard yikes I don't like the thought...could it be the PSU? That would be preferable lol cause I have to upgrade that to use the new gpu anyway.

NOIZE April 8, 2011 10:48 PM

Oops accidently posted in the wrong section can this be moved?

_dangtx_ April 8, 2011 11:18 PM

first of all.welcome.

secondly, could you post full system specs?

also try a live cd, as in download ubuntu and burn it to a cd/dvd(make sure its bootable)
and start the computer with that cd/dvd . if no errors? then its software. if it does the same? its hardware
related, be it hw (ram?), voltages(psu?) or heat (mobo/cpu?) or something else like hdd...:)

NOIZE April 8, 2011 11:25 PM

Edit: removed dxdiag because it's apparently useless in this situation and it made scrolling the page a pain for me on an iPod.

Perineum April 9, 2011 12:31 AM

buy the cheapest HD you can find, reinstall on that.

If your hardware works fine on that then you know you've got a software issue.

My $0.02

_dangtx_ April 9, 2011 12:35 AM

get aida64 if you dont know what the exact components are.

what power supply do you have? it says on the side. try swapping hdd cables before you buy one..

but before all that try the live cd option. if you can

NOIZE April 9, 2011 01:32 AM

Yeah now I can't even check now because my computer won't even boot. It started giving me one long beep then 2 short ones and now I get just one long beep. What does the beeping mean?

_dangtx_ April 9, 2011 02:07 AM

start taking ram sticks out one at a time.

disconnect everything but the minimum.

what does it say on the side of the psu? :)

ilya April 9, 2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOIZE (Post 504398)
Yeah now I can't even check now because my computer won't even boot. It started giving me one long beep then 2 short ones and now I get just one long beep. What does the beeping mean?

Can't know for sure since you have an Acer/Gateway computer. Consult your manual.

However the beep codes you described usually mean 2 of 3 things, video card did not post, motherboard error, or insufficient power.

BTW dxdiag is annoying and I doubt anybody here even bothered to read the whole thing. (myself included)

But away from my rant, you probably had 2 issues and the current one is likely due to your 5830.

When you installed the card, did you plug in both 6 pin power connectors directly to the video card? If so, did you use the power adapters included with the card? I see that you have the lower tier i5 version of your computer, which likely comes with a 300W power supply. There is a small chance you fried your power supply with the 5830. If possible open up your side panel and get some serial numbers/pictures of the power supply. If you're confident, you can try testing the PSU by hotwiring it or using it in another system.

You should also swap video cards to see if you can get a POST.

Frank Encruncher April 9, 2011 02:55 AM

Crapppy OEM systems
your 5830 is seen as as 4600
try updating bios from Gateway
best thing keep CPU and dump the mobo
problem the mobo bios hold M$ product/activation code
If you buy a mobo you need to buy a copy of Winblows, get an OEM copy,not reatail
Moral of the story OEM systems suck because they PITA to upgrade