Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2011, 05:18 PM
Rookie

Yeah I get one long continuous beep, I dont know the exact motherboard I have but I do know the BIOS is AMI so I looked up beep codes for that and cant find anything about a continuous beep for AMI BIOSes.
Old April 10, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIZE View Post
Yeah I get one long continuous beep, I dont know the exact motherboard I have but I do know the BIOS is AMI so I looked up beep codes for that and cant find anything about a continuous beep for AMI BIOSes.

means no memory or defective MB
Old April 10, 2011, 05:51 PM
Rookie

Can I ask where you found that info? I looked everywhere and can't find even a mention of continuous beeping code on ami bios. Closest I found was on a site called bioscentral I think where it said one long beep and it means passes all POST checks (but it doesn't say continuous like it does for other BIOes so I doubt its what im looking for not to mention the computer doesnt work)

Last edited by NOIZE; April 10, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old April 10, 2011, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
DX4830 Desktop Series
base model
Intel® Core™ i7 processor (up to 1333 MHz FSB)
Intel® Core™ i5 processor (up to 1333 MHz FSB)

2 MB listed 1366 1156 not the exact ID of MB
The dxdiag the OP originally posted listed a P55 chipset with an i5 750, also reiterated in my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIZE View Post
Can I ask where you found that info? I looked everywhere and can't find even a mention of continuous beeping code on ami bios. Closest I found was on a site called bioscentral I think where it said one long beep and it means passes all POST checks (but it doesn't say continuous like it does for other BIOes so I doubt its what im looking for not to mention the computer doesnt work)
According to AMI, they don't use varying beep lengths. http://www.ami.com/support/doc/AMIBI...e_List_PUB.pdf

According to the Gateway manual, it's a mouse/keyboard error, but that honestly doesn't get you anywhere.
http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals...TW_DT_QSTG.pdf

At this point there isn't much you can troubleshoot without any hardware swaps. I'm assuming the system is also out of warranty as well, so getting support from Gateway is going to be very costly.

*Try* getting the board to POST with the 5830, it won't kill anything until you put a real load on it anyhow. If it posts, you're in luck because it's just a dead video card. If not, you need to get a hold of known good parts to test with.
Old April 10, 2011, 06:36 PM
Rookie

I dont have the proper connectors on this power supply because it's only 300w will putting it in the slot alone suffice for this?
I don't have any other parts to test with so i guess i'll just have to take it too a shop to have them test it.