Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2011, 07:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Random computer problems

I recently bought a bunch of new components to upgrade my old system. I assembled everything, and it POSTed and booted the first time. However, I am getting random problems. My specs are in my signature.

Problem 1:
My computer randomly locks up completely and can only be fixed by doing a hard reboot. This freeze has happened when the computer has been idle, web browsing, and gaming. When it happens, most of the time the screen completely freezes up and the audio is caught in a loop of the last tenth of a second or so. Occasionally, the screen is black and not responding. Once, the screen turned bright orange and froze.

Problem 2:
This is most likely related to problem 1. I've only seen it a couple times. Occasionally, the screen edges seem to "flip". What I mean by that is the right half of the screen becomes the left, and the left half becomes the right. There is a big black bar down the middle that the mouse can't cross. To move the mouse to the other side, I have to bring it to the far edges of the monitor and then it wraps around. This is only solved by rebooting.

Problem 3:
When playing games or watching stuff in VLC or youtube, occasionally the audio will crackle for a fraction of a second. The freeze doesn't seem to have any effect on the playback of the video.

Problem 4:
There is a constant background hum of white noise. It mostly happens when running full-screen applications, but I also noticed it when the smilies on this site are on screen.

To fix these problems, I have done the following. I reinstalled Windows, reinstalled my audio drivers, reinstalled my video drivers, did 6.5 hours of memtest86, 2.5 hours of FurMark, 3.5 hours of Prime95. I have also swapped out my video card for a known working HD 4890. I changed the Vdroop settings in the BIOS to low, and forced the RAM to perform at 9-9-9-24 timings at 1600 MHz and 1.5V. Everything is at stock ratings.

If anyone can help me out here, it will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6950 1GB
Hard Drives: 120 GB Intel X-25M, 2x320GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0, 1TB Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply: Corsair TX650W
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64
Old April 7, 2011, 07:58 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i would check the cpu and motherboard. do you know any one who has a sandy bridge based computer who can let you use there stuff for a few hours maybe so you can do a full trouble shoot?
Old April 7, 2011, 08:05 PM
Banned
F@H

try another hard drive with another cable?

disconnect all other drives.

prime95 and furmark for that long should take out a lot of 'what if's

any chance you could put it together on thine table and see again?

had a guy come in with something similar, one of the standoffs was a wee bit higher

and it bent the board in such a way that it would reboot by itself randomly, while prime+3dmark looping

would be fine for a certain period of time(my patience)
Old April 7, 2011, 08:27 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Forgot to mention, I tried it with my OS drive only. And the buzzing is coming out of my headphones, not the case.

Unfortunately, I'm the only one I know of close by who has a Sandy Bridge build.

Tomorrow, I'm going to check the standoffs again just to make sure.

EDIT: I reseated everything, and I had a complete freeze with a gray screen. However, the white noise seems to be gone.
Hard Drives: 120 GB Intel X-25M, 2x320GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0, 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Last edited by _Slacker; April 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

Did it still froze on you while using the 4890?

Old April 8, 2011, 01:49 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yeah, swapping out the video card made no difference.
Old April 8, 2011, 02:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

Do you still have your old board? Maybe you can fire that one up using the same power supply and GPU and see what happens. If your old board is DDR3, use your new mems too.

Old April 8, 2011, 05:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

My old motherboard was running on the same PSU and video card before I upgraded due to the motherboard being on back order. Unfortunately I can't switch out the RAM as it was DDR2.

Last edited by _Slacker; April 9, 2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old April 8, 2011, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Problem #2 sounds like memory. I used to have issues like that when I destabilized my RAM with overclocks while using integrated graphics (this was back in DDR1 days). See what happens if you use Memtest86+ or Prime95 BLEND TEST for a very long time.
Old April 9, 2011, 07:00 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I just ran the blend test overnight for 9 hours. No errors or warnings.