Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2011, 09:15 PM
Top Prospect

Default New sandy bridge build freezes randomly

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help in choosing parts for my new build. Just received them all the other day and put it all together and guess what? It POSTS!

Old thread where parts were selected (pics upcoming!):
Budget gaming rig

So I went with the
i5 2500, Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H -B3 motherboard, and Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 RAM. Running Win 7 Ultimate.

Here's my dilemma: the computer freezes randomly every 20-30 mins. By freezing, I mean the mouse does not move, the keyboard is not functional, and the system does not respond to anything. This happens even when the system is idle.

I've tried some tests. It does not seem to be temp related (CPU temps are 30-35 C idle, 60-70 under stress). Furthermore, the HDD seems ok (ran Seagate tools and it passed). Ran the windows memory test (passed) and currently running Memtest on the RAM. Its not the video card as I removed it and used the integrated graphics on the mobo and ran into the same problems.

I have a feeling it might have something to do with the RAM. First off, when I went to unpackage the RAM, I noticed the plastic casing was cut in two, as if it had been previously opened. Does this mean I got a refurb or open box item?

In CPU-Z it reports the correct RAM timings and frequency, so I'm kinda puzzled as to what the problem is. I left the timings and such on auto in the BIOS - should i enter the timings manually. What about voltage - it says it needs 1.5V. Should I leave that to auto or manually enter 1.5-1.6V? One thing I noticed is that nowhere does it mention this RAM and Mobo to be compatible...could that be the issue?

Anyone have ideas as to what could be the problem? I'll post the Memtest results as soon as they complete.

Thanks!
PSU: Corsair 750w
GPU: Diamond HD4870
RAM: 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400
HDD: 2 x 640gb WD Caviar
Audio: Auzentech Forte 7.1
OD: Pioneer DVR-216
Old April 1, 2011, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Freezes usually end up being a ram problem, especially if it's a new build. Start by testing the sticks individually in various slots in Memtest. Also, make sure you have the right ram speed set in BIOS.
Old April 1, 2011, 10:42 PM
Banned
F@H

say you start prime95, or loop 3dmark, does it still freeze?

ive seen a few systems behave similarly when entering lower power states, or when windows was
thinking it was making a good choice playing with the aforementioned power states :)
Old April 2, 2011, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

Yukon:
Ran 12 hrs of Memtest last night with no errors...so it doesn't look like its the RAM causing the issue.

_dangtx_:
I tried about 10 mins of OCCT (used this a couple years back for my build), and it didn't crash (temps were OK too). I changed the power options in Win 7 to performance so hopefully it isn't changing any power levels.

Any other suggestions?
PSU: Corsair 750w
GPU: Diamond HD4870
RAM: 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400
HDD: 2 x 640gb WD Caviar
Audio: Auzentech Forte 7.1
OD: Pioneer DVR-216
Old April 2, 2011, 09:10 AM
Banned
F@H

yes. leave the bench running see if it dies too. if not,power states=your headache.
Old April 2, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Set the speed and the voltage of the RAM manually to see if it helps. Leave timings at AUTO. Use CPU-Z and check if the RAM is operating at its advertised speeds and timings through the "Memory" tab. If something's not right, adjust the value manually.

Some RAM gets very cranky at high temperatures which cannot be produced by Memtest86+. See if your system survives 4+ hours of OCCT's CPU:Linpack test or Prime95's "blend" test.

Also, when your computer freezes, is the hard drive activity light ON? (if so you may be looking at buggy BIOS, peripherals, or motherboard)
Old April 9, 2011, 06:06 PM
Rookie

OHH i had that exact same problem!!

i had a gigabyte p67-ud3p with 8 gb(2 modules) mushkin silverline 1333 and it would always crash with both modules in. every time i tried a stress test it would instantly crash but memtest and EVERYTHING said it was perfectly fine. i emailed mushkin and they had no answer for me.

in the end i couldnt figure it out so i swapped to an ASUS board and they work fine!

you could try and disable dual channel and enter the timings/voltages manually but who knows. if you check Gigabyte's memory compatibility list mushkin silverline isnt listed.

EDIT:: 1 thing you have to try is use 1 module and run prime95 to see if it crashes. When i had 8gb(2modules) prime95 would crash instantly or within a few seconds. So try 1 module im 99.99% its that you're using both modules.
Old April 9, 2011, 06:53 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainger View Post
OHH i had that exact same problem!!

i had a gigabyte p67-ud3p with 8 gb(2 modules) mushkin silverline 1333 and it would always crash with both modules in. every time i tried a stress test it would instantly crash but memtest and EVERYTHING said it was perfectly fine. i emailed mushkin and they had no answer for me.
I had a problem with my system when I had a Gigabyte motherboard too, but it seems fine now that I switched to Asus. I bought a Gigabyte board because everyone recommends them and they are in system build guides. Now I'm thinking otherwise...
Old June 24, 2011, 12:20 AM
Trial Member

Smile

You're seeing this at idle when your system goes into enhanced c-state (I have the same problem with my Sandy Bridge setup) - disable enhanced c-states in the BIOS, problem solved.