Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
Top Prospect

Default No Post/No Beep/No Display.

I have a p6td that wont post. Ive tried outside the case and with multiple ram configurations. Im not getting any beeps either. I know the cpu and ram work since they work in another board.

I RMA'd the board and they sent it back to me saying it passed the bootable test. But its still not working for me. So if its not the board, what couls be causing a no post? Or is the board dead and asus is just being lazy.
Old March 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Tried a different PSU?
Old March 30, 2011, 12:29 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Tried a different PSU?
Ya, I just walked down to futurecrap and picked up a crappy dynex 500w just to use with basic components. I switched ou my 6970 for a 5450 in my HTPC, and hooked up just the board/cpu with the 5450 and one stick of ram nothing else. Still no boot, beeps or display.
Old March 30, 2011, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintblade View Post
Ya, I just walked down to futurecrap and picked up a crappy dynex 500w just to use with basic components. I switched ou my 6970 for a 5450 in my HTPC, and hooked up just the board/cpu with the 5450 and one stick of ram nothing else. Still no boot, beeps or display.

ARE LIGHTS LIT or FANS SPINNING ?

from psu is the 4 wire connected to MB..... IN CORNER BY KB/MOUSE HEADER
Old March 30, 2011, 08:41 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
ARE LIGHTS LIT or FANS SPINNING ?

from psu is the 4 wire connected to MB..... IN CORNER BY KB/MOUSE HEADER
Not sure why im always asked thay question, but naturally its connected. It's actually an 8pin on this board. All connections are made properly and fans are spinning.
Old March 31, 2011, 08:21 AM
Top Prospect

I have you tried booting without RAM installed? Basically, you need to have CPU, RAM, and VGA to post. If your board is hanging during POST, it's likely one of those items is hung up on. To troubleshoot this, you can take one of those items out at a time and boot the board. If it's the item that your board was hanging on, then you will usually get a beep code during POST instead of your board hanging.

So, if you remove your RAM, start your system and now get a beep code (indicating missing RAM), you know the issue is related to either your RAM, RAM slots or IMC on your CPU.

Hope this helps. :)
Old March 31, 2011, 11:35 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post
I have you tried booting without RAM installed? Basically, you need to have CPU, RAM, and VGA to post. If your board is hanging during POST, it's likely one of those items is hung up on. To troubleshoot this, you can take one of those items out at a time and boot the board. If it's the item that your board was hanging on, then you will usually get a beep code during POST instead of your board hanging.

So, if you remove your RAM, start your system and now get a beep code (indicating missing RAM), you know the issue is related to either your RAM, RAM slots or IMC on your CPU.

Hope this helps. :)
Ya, I have booted with no ram and still no beeps. The only thing that I haven't tried doing is trying a new CPU. But I really don't see why my i7 would not be working since it was working in the previous board I used (gigabyte ds4). That's really the only thing left for me to try, is a new cpu. Since I have tried literally everything else. I've tried 2 diff working video cards, 2 dif sets of ram, no ram, 2 diff psu's. I tried it outside the case, with the stock heatsink and an h50. The only thing left would be to try another cpu, but wouldn't I at least get a beep code if the cpu wasn't working?
Old March 31, 2011, 11:48 AM
Top Prospect

Yeah...agreed with trying another CPU. It sounds like you've done as much as you can up to this point. Given that you had your CPU working in another board, I agree that it's doubtful anything is wrong with your CPU. As long nothing was damaged moving it to the other board, it should work fine. But, I suppose it's worth a look.
Old March 31, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

also pull the motherboard and try with it out of the case.
Old March 31, 2011, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
also pull the motherboard and try with it out of the case.
I've already stated that I have tried it outside of the case.