Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2011, 09:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Monitor in standby during loadup

Been using a vga to dvi adapter for a couple of years and now finally got a dvi cable.

Problem: When starting the computer I used to be able to see my startup image with the bios. With this new dvi cable I cannot see the image of the press-able options for my motherboard. The monitor (LG L204WT) seems to get out of standby by the time the Windows load screen appears, but with the vga adapter I can see the bios load screen. Any way to fix this? Sorry hard to explain this problem in words without seeing it.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:03 AM
Banned
F@H

howdy and welcome.

fix, probably not. if you push del/f2 can you go to bios? :)
Old March 27, 2011, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah everything still works, maybe I'm just a perfectionist and it bugs me.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:26 AM
Banned
F@H

then dont worry about it :)

its just,probably,the monitor not being initialised except when the os side picks up.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

did you tried the other dvi connector on the vga if you have more than one?

it does that one my dualscreen setup, one monitor popups with the pc, the other after windows loadup screen
Old March 27, 2011, 11:03 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Check the input select of your monitor. Is it auto, DVI or VGA?
Old March 27, 2011, 04:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
did you try the other dvi connector on the vga if you have more than one?

it does that one my dualscreen setup, one monitor popups with the pc, the other after windows loadup screen
I dont think you understood my question. I "had" a vga cable with a dvi adapter, but now I "have" a dvi cable.
Either way I am just going to leave it and deal with the standby mode until windows loads. Thanks for trying to help.
Old March 27, 2011, 05:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
Check the input select of your monitor. Is it auto, DVI or VGA?
This (set to DVI), or what is your bios setup WRT initial GFX (Should be set to PEG).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 27, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
did you tried the other dvi connector on the vga if you have more than one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada2005 View Post
I dont think you understood my question. I "had" a vga cable with a dvi adapter, but now I "have" a dvi cable.
Either way I am just going to leave it and deal with the standby mode until windows loads. Thanks for trying to help.
I believe what mkultra was referring to was trying other connectors on your VIDEO CARD:

E.g. the reference Radeon 6970 has two DVI connectors. Try the other one to see if there's a difference in how long it takes for your monitor to figure out there's something outputting to it. I know on my Radeon 4870 the dual-link DVI connector (yellow) gives me a display faster than the other (white) one, even though it makes no theoretical difference with the size of screen I'm running.

EDIT: I noticed in your "my system specs" you also have a TV. Is it possible the BIOS screen is being outputted to your TV for some reason rather than your monitor?
Old March 27, 2011, 07:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

@frontier204 - I just tried the other dvi port and it has the same standby as the other port. I only connect my TV when I watch a movie via hdmi, so it is not connected on startup.

@sswilson - I just checked my bios/uefi and it was set to start with peg first.

@mkultra - Sorry I misunderstood you.

Well I think it may just be that this is an older dvi monitor and the digital inputs may just be slow. I believe I bought this monitor back in 2002-03