Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2011, 10:03 AM
MVP

Default brand new comp freezes

3 days since putting (all new) parts together ,nine out ten times won't load OS if any ide drives attached (tried 4 of them,new ribbon cable ,work fine on other comps),once @ desktop (no ide) all browsers freeze momentarily (random),performance seems to stutter when cpu fan speeds or slows ,operates "normally " 60% - 70% of the time. fresh install of OS ,reseated all mem modules ,no over clock ,bios is at default ,all cable placement correct and secure.latest bios,all drives present and current, I've built and serviced my own comps,haven't seen this before.

any ideas ?
thanks

Last edited by Jim; March 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old March 25, 2011, 10:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Is there a problem with the Cool n Quiet settings? Check your temps as it stutters and see whether its temperature is high and how far it is from Tcase temps. You could also try installing your OS to another HDD to see whether that is the problem. Check the S.M.A.R.T status of the HDD you are using right now to check whether it is healthy or not.
Old March 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
Is there a problem with the Cool n Quiet settings? Check your temps as it stutters and see whether its temperature is high and how far it is from Tcase temps. You could also try installing your OS to another HDD to see whether that is the problem. Check the S.M.A.R.T status of the HDD you are using right now to check whether it is healthy or not.
S.M.A.R.T status indicate "O.K." during post ,had also tried with alternate hd ,got to to desktop ,though wouldn't read dvd drive,temps according to "PC Probe II" are mid to high 30's ,I take it that's what you meant by check Cool n Quiet ?
Old March 25, 2011, 10:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
S.M.A.R.T status indicate "O.K." during post ,had also tried with alternate hd ,got to to desktop ,though wouldn't read dvd drive,temps according to "PC Probe II" are mid to high 30's ,I take it that's what you meant by check Cool n Quiet ?
Cool n Quiet is power throttling of the processor to save electricity. But your temps seem normal to me. Is it necessary that you need to use the IDE? Your CPU is running at 60-70% just from web browsing alone?
Old March 25, 2011, 11:08 AM
MVP

Quote:
Cool n Quiet is power throttling of the processor to save electricity. But your temps seem normal to me. Is it necessary that you need to use the IDE? Your CPU is running at 60-70% just from web browsing alone?
"60-70%" by that I meant relaible operation,had to switch to alternate hd the the new one stalled just after post...click, click, click ,red hd light on constant.alternate hd and ide dvd seem to be working now ( unlike last night) allowed me to install lan driver

so is Cool n Quiet necessary ? could the throttling effect performance negatively ?

whats your thoughts about the hard drive ? thanks
Old March 25, 2011, 11:14 AM
MVP

"so is Cool n Quiet necessary ? could the throttling effect performance negatively ?"

lazy me should have googled , looks like it's none essential,I'll disable
Old March 25, 2011, 11:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I am not 100% sure that CnQ is the source of the problem but I have had similar problems with something similar called Intel SpeedStep. The principles on these 2 works differently but from what I've used before the SpeedStep throttled my speed when it detects it is overheating. It locks the multiplier of a 2.8Ghz processor to just 1Ghz+ which caused a massive sudden lag. I'm sure there is something else that might be the real problem besides CnQ.
Old March 25, 2011, 11:32 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sounds like a hdd issue to me. Last week I had a machine wherie the hdd would do what your describing after about 40 min of use. In fact, it would pass all the hdd tests, but after 45 min like clockwork it would fail and behave like yor problem described
Old March 25, 2011, 11:46 AM
MVP

Quote:
I am not 100% sure that CnQ is the source of the problem but I have had similar problems with something similar called Intel SpeedStep. The principles on these 2 works differently but from what I've used before the SpeedStep throttled my speed when it detects it is overheating. It locks the multiplier of a 2.8Ghz processor to just 1Ghz+ which caused a massive sudden lag. I'm sure there is something else that might be the real problem besides CnQ.
dropped the CnQ,done about 5 reboots (alternate hd) normal so far,will see if it gets throught the day,thanks much
Old March 25, 2011, 11:52 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Sounds like a hdd issue to me. Last week I had a machine wherie the hdd would do what your describing after about 40 min of use. In fact, it would pass all the hdd tests, but after 45 min like clockwork it would fail and behave like yor problem described
that's informative,cause when I'd click on browzer tool/link the hd would make it's usual sound and the page would freeze,couldn't even bring up task manager,had wait it out er something seems steady so far on this sata 2 I have

Guess I'll be rma'ing that WD drive,paid like 80 bucks,there a better brand and model I should go with ?