Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2011, 05:04 AM
Rookie

Default GPU broken...

I'm pretty sure my 8800GT is broken. I've had it for about 3 years and never had a problem with it in any way.

Last night I updated my windows 7 with sp1 and everything was running normal as usual. Right after that I decided to play some bad company 2 and about 5 minutes into it my computer crashed terribly.

After I restarted, I noticed right away that something was wrong. POST screen was messed up and warped and once windows is loaded there are blue squiggly lines running across the screen. Here is a close up:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/97/img0307yo.jpg

My PC doesn't detect the video card anymore even though it still somewhat functions and I've tried system restore, new drivers, taking out the card ect ect.

I realize that this is probably the end of the line for my 8800 but I just wanted to get some confirmation that it is indeed the case. And before I buy a new card I might have to try this:
How to: bake your GPU's.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Since I can't see the image I just have to guess it is artifacting and your GC is dying already. The baking your GC method is to reflow the solder on your GC in hopes of fixing it. Have never tried it before but you could give it a try before deciding to get a new GC.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:35 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I gave a guy on the forums here a 9800 gtx and he baked it and from what I"m to understand it is still working. I would try it!, the least of your worries is it won"t work at all after that.And then it"s a good excuse to get a new graphx card.

Old March 24, 2011, 06:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup. Bake it.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk View Post
I gave a guy on the forums here a 9800 gtx and he baked it and from what I"m to understand it is still working. I would try it!, the least of your worries is it won"t work at all after that.And then it"s a good excuse to get a new graphx card.

Exactly my thoughts on the matter! If it works, great! If it doesn't, I need a new GPU regardless.

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to trying this out.
Old March 24, 2011, 08:23 AM
Rookie

Well I'm back from the bakery and I return in awe.

I can't believe it worked. I thought it was a long shot but holy crap it worked!

Not only is my GPU back and working, but after re-applying the thermal paste the temps are so much lower it's mind boggling (from ~60 idle down to ~50).

Looks like I can keep saving for an entire new build for BF3.
Old March 24, 2011, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

8800GT DirectX 10

side note your game won't be able to use DX11 shaders in W7
Old March 24, 2011, 09:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
8800GT DirectX 10

side note your game won't be able to use DX11 shaders in W7

...not sure what your point is, the game isn't why my card got messed up. I've been playing BC2 on windows 7 since it was released. At any rate, problem is solved.

Just finished playing BC2 for a decent length, video card is holding up great.

Last edited by Josef; March 24, 2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old March 24, 2011, 02:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I have an old 4850 baking it tonight I hope ..is there any change if damaging the mb/ pcie slot in this process
Old March 24, 2011, 03:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Not unless you decide to bake the motherboard along with the card.

I've baked my card a couple of times -- the G80 heatsink used thermal pads and the first time I re-attached it I though the thermal paste would bridge the gaps, didn't and led to higher temperatures which heightened the effect of the heat cycles on the solder -- and not had a problem.