Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2008, 06:23 AM
Rookie

Exclamation Big Problems

Hi there! I'm new to this board, and have stumbled upon it in my search for a solution.

I'm having problems. First off, I'll give my specs:

Asus P5KC (Socket 775, P35 Chipset)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (G0 revision)
2 x Kingston 334mhz DDR2 ram
EVGA GeForce 8600 GT (PCI-E)
LG 20X DVD-RW (SATA)
Seagate 80 gig & 320 gig (both IDE)
400w psu

This is my first build. Everything was working fine until I tried installing Supreme Commander. During install it would hang indefinately, or install VERY slowly (3+hrs for 50%). A few attempts even resulted in a BSOD!

I gave up on SupCom, and tried installing Age Of Empires III, but it was the same result.

At first I thought it was a problem with the CD drive, but swapping drives proved futile (using both SATA as well as IDE). I tried it on 3 seperate, fresh installs of XP, but to no avail.

I've checked my temps, and there is nothing out of the ordinary going on.

Obviously, I've updated all my drivers & BIOS to the latest revisions from the Asus site, and it still hasn't fixed my problem.

Any suggestions?
Old January 21, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default just a quick one

What sort of 400w PSU is that? If its a cheapo one your system is very likely underpowered.

Also the quad needs an 8 pin MB connector rather than a 4 pin.

Finally do you have the correct volts going through the memory.

Somewhere to start anyway.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old January 21, 2008, 09:34 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Basically is your system stable. Run a few tests to find out: SuperPi, Memtest, latest Prime. And do check your CPU temps while testing. Don't let the Quad go higher than 65C.
Old January 21, 2008, 01:38 PM
Rookie

I'm thinking the PSU may be to blame as well. That's not very much power to run all of that.

From eVGA
Quote:
Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amp Amps.)
Old January 21, 2008, 02:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I highly doubt that power supply is anywhere near enough, especially since you don't list the brand. It's one thing many people miss out on. Without a good power supply, your computer just isn't going to work well.
Old January 21, 2008, 03:39 PM
Rookie

Exclamation

The system is stable, ran orthos small fft as well as blend on all cores (1 instance on core 0 and 1, 1 instance on 2 and 3) and there was no problem there, and the cores didnt go any higher than 63C... superpi on the 2m test gets 44s... memtest comes out clean... and my voltages are constant... i didnt list the psu brand cause it was 6am here and i couldnt remember :P

Last edited by Feff; January 21, 2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old January 21, 2008, 03:51 PM
Rookie

ok, write times between 2 drives are very high.... copying from 1 HDD to the other takes forever... could it be chipset comm?
Old January 21, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

With an 8600-series card and a good 400W PSU, you should be fine. The connectors going into the HDD and optical are all completely in? What are your Master/Slave setting for the drives in the BIOS?

Does the install drive has enough free space on it (SupCom needs over 8GB of space)? What if you take a really big file, and copy it from one drive to the other, then back again, any abnormal behavior or delays going one way or another?

Edit: Edited for recent post.
Old January 21, 2008, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Connectors are fine, I've checked them about a million times.

When I take a large file and transfer from one HDD to the other, wait times are large. Which is why im leaning toward chipset comm... but I have the most updated chipset driver... I even tried using older drivers, but that didn't work either...

Copying an .iso file from one hdd to the other usually goes up to about 226 minutes, then displays no time, and wtakes about 4 hrs to complete (assuming it would, i gave up after about an hour and it only being about 25% complete)

As for space issue, I've got 20 gigs devoted to Windows/Utilities (Partitioned)... and the rest (56 gig or something) devoted to games and such (Completely free).

Not entirely sure about master/slave settings, Im at work right now, will check tomorrow when i get home.
Old January 23, 2008, 04:24 PM
Rookie

OK so my slave/master settings are fine.... i have corrected the high write times from HDD to HDD... the only problems now are the Installing from CD... also I have tried to install from an .iso using a virtual drive, but still the same problem... does a virtual drive use the same pathways as a CD drive?