Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2011, 05:21 PM
Rookie

Default Old Dimension 2350 heating problem

Hi there!

I just finished my new build and it's working flawlessly!

But weirdly, my old Dell dimension 2350 is going bad. Here's what happened.
A few weeks ago the retention bracket, a black plastic thing that holds the heatsink onto the motherboard broke. I ordered a new one and I have installed it today. I was using the computer last week everyday for 15 - 20 minutes. Giving it a break every so often as to not burn the processor. It was working perfectly.

But today when I put in the new retention bracket, cleaned the heatsink, processor with alcohol, and then put on some fresh leftover Arctic Silver 5 and turned it on... After a few minutes it would shut down by itself.

I looked on the internet and many had the same issue but were solved once they fixed the bracket problem or applied fresh thermal paste, but I did that and the problem still persists.

Help?
Old March 18, 2011, 05:47 PM
Banned
F@H

drop aida64 in there and check how bad it gets. its possible there is little contact, or you forgot to plug in the fan,or the latter doesnt
turn/turn properly for some other reason
Old March 18, 2011, 09:29 PM
Rookie

Ok I would do that but I don't think that program or any program detects core temperatures for the socket 478. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) I read somewhere there is no heat detecting mechanism on the mobo for these 2003 vintage boards.

There is a flat piece of tin foil stuck to the bottom of the cpu heatsink. It is less than a millimeter thick. The first time I applied a very thin layer of thermal paste onto the cpu, didn't work. Second time, applied a thicker layer, still didn't work. I'm thinking I should just not put any at all.

And oh yes, forgot to add, the CPU heatsink is just a metal heatsink there is no fan attached to it. There is only a chasis fan with a green funnel guiding it to the heatsink.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:17 AM
Banned
F@H

tinfoil? perhaps it shouldnt be left there?

and yes itll have a reading
Old March 19, 2011, 08:20 AM
Rookie

Installed Aida64 onto the old 2350, clicked on "Sensor", no readings. Only ones displayed are HDD and the DVD drive. Good news is it's lasting longer than yesterday, its been on for 10 minutes nowwith no shut downs.

As for the tin foil, here's several pictures:
Dell Dimension 2350 Desktop Heatsink Problem,Help! - Desktop General Hardware Forum - Desktop - Dell Community
picture #2 is the heatsink and the mounting clips
picture #3 is the back of the heatsink and as you can see there a square piece of tin foil stuck onto a black, tar substance.

Right now I suspect the problem is the new retention bracket. The old one was screwed onto the mobo whereas the new one has plastic caps. These caps sit higher than the screws of the old one, so maybe it raises the heatsink away from the processor. But I can't find a way to take off the plastic cap and replace it with screws .
Old March 19, 2011, 01:16 PM
Banned
F@H

interesting. rest the pc on the side,so the heatsink lays down on the cpu,see if it makes a difference

i was expecting a reading from aida, but i guess not

also,i remember something about those tinfoil things, been a while,so it might be like a thermal transfer
interface
Old March 20, 2011, 02:04 PM
Rookie

Problem Fixed
Turns out it was the plastic cap problem. Knocked them out of the bracket with a hammer, replaced it with screws, put on some arctic silver, working wonderfully.

Thanks for the help