Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2011, 03:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Does overclocking affect comp's ability to sleep?

Probably a dumb question, but ever since I used the Asus AI utility to overclock my CPU my computer's display and keyboard will no longer wake up after sleep...I have to reboot the system.
Old March 18, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's possible your overclock is not stable. Have you done any stress testing? Having said that, you should be doing all of your permanent overclocking in the BIOS anyways. I'll wager that almost every individual who responds to this thread will suggest the same strategy.
Old March 18, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it shouldnt but if your overclock is not stable then it may not be running right outta sleep mode. From my experiance. My 2cents
Old March 18, 2011, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Reading your other thread, there are 2 known issues I know of that could be affecting you.

Windows 7 not liking sleep. Microsoft. Already mentioned in your other thread.

There is a known issue with sleep and PLL voltage override. I assume from one of your older posts and the mention of Asus AI that you upgraded to Sandy Bridge recently. Sandy Bridge boards don't always wake from sleep when PLL overrides are enabled. However, disabling it will hamper your ability to overclock.
Old March 19, 2011, 09:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

One of the first things I did was move the little PLL switch on the motherboard to "enable". Maybe that's the problem. I'm going to switch everything back to default and see what happens.

If anyone else out there has the same setup as me (2500K on an Asus P8P67 Deluxe) I'd love to hear what setting you're using for optimum performance/stability.
Old March 19, 2011, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

How do OS overclocking utilities now differ with Sandy Bridge?
Old March 19, 2011, 01:55 PM
NCIX System Builder

My System Specs

Your RAM corrupts during its long slumber :P

Try downclocking, you'll see that it should wake up no problem.
Old March 20, 2011, 03:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It DOES affect sleep! (overclocking, I mean). Set my system back to optimized defaults and it sleeps without a problem now, and wakes up with a single press of power switch.

SOOOOO....million dollar question is, how do I get the best of both worlds? I want to OC my system a bit, but I also want to be able to put it to sleep whenever I want and not have to do a full shut down.
Old March 21, 2011, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Try overclocking in the BIOS?
Old March 21, 2011, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya it shouldn't effect it at all unless it just the board be a little bitchy. i have had many pc i built for clients that were oc'd and they worked fine in and out of sleep mode. maybe its the software causing a delay between the settings when coming out of sleep mode and i am guessing here so give the bios a shot