Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2011, 01:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Angry Webcam and Win 7 don't work ? ?

I have a cheap USB 2 webcam (see link)
Newegg.com - IMC ZB029 2.0 M Effective Pixels USB 2.0 WebCam with Mic

and it worked on the old XP machine. I build a new win 7 machine and plugged it in and it doesn't work. Windows recognizes the camera. It sees in in the printer/device section and says the driver is a generic Microsoft driver from 2006. If I say update driver it says I have the latest driver. The problem is no software seems to be able to use the camera. It doesn't show up as a device to the software, yet windows itself sees it? I have tried unplugging and replugging it in to different USB ports. I know the camera does work. It seems it has to be a driver / win 7 issue.

Any thoughts?
Old March 15, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Considering it worked on XP I'm gonna wager to say there is no driver support for it in Win7
Old March 15, 2011, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

open up device manager and then to view show hidden devices and when you find the device click uninstall and then reboot look in the device manager again if it says the same thing then repeat process but don't let windows automatically install the device just ( hopefully you have downloaded the proper driver for it) point to where your driver is and then install it that should work
Old March 15, 2011, 01:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

One of the "features" of this camera is there is no software, no drivers, no nothing. It is all plug and play so it would be hard to have the "correct" driver. I could try uninstalling it and see what happens when I plug it back in.
Old March 15, 2011, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

chances are it won't work in windows 7 i ran into the same issue as i used to have a logitech webcam messenger which was not supported above windows xp. I replaced with a Logitech Webcam 9000 and couldn't be happier :)

Old March 15, 2011, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
One of the "features" of this camera is there is no software, no drivers, no nothing. It is all plug and play so it would be hard to have the "correct" driver. I could try uninstalling it and see what happens when I plug it back in.
There used to be an old term.. Plug N Pray.

Your web cam is under those rules.
Old March 15, 2011, 01:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
There used to be an old term.. Plug N Pray.

Your web cam is under those rules.
Sigh. I figured all these cheapo cameras used some kind of generic driver and one of you smart fellows could direct me to a magic link that would clear up all my problems. On the new egg user reviews. Some people are obviously using this camera just fine with windows 7 but there isn't any indication whether that is 32 bit or 64 bit. In the description it says it works with Win 7 but I could not find it certified as such on the microsoft web site.
Old March 15, 2011, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

the only other thing i can think of. When it's plugged in if there is a device manager icon right click on it and select uninstall. There should be a check box on the page that shows up that says something like remove drivers as well. Make sure it's checked off then reboot and try plugging it in again. Also see if there are any updates in windows update. If you still get no luck it may not compatible compeltely with windows 7. Other than that i am out of ideas you may want to look at investing in a new webcam. ( by investing i mean spending more than $20 bucks on one)

Old March 15, 2011, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
did you do everything else? I noticed that it is supposed to work I found this post on newegg "
Pros: plug and play for W7. works great and the audio is great I hear.
Cons: none"

I would just uninstall like I said then reboot and or use the find new hardware devices feature in windows7
Old March 16, 2011, 02:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Unistalled the driver and win 7 reinstalled it. The computer sees it. The software doesn't. When I go to take a picture with the office software it pulls up the epson scanner as the device and no option to use the camera. grrrrrrr