Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2011, 12:16 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Unhappy Comp will not start, urgent help needed

my computer worked completely fine for about 2 years now, untill couple of days ago.
recenly i bought a gtx570 and decided to keep my old gtx260 for folding@home, that is when trouble started. the dual card setup worked fine for a bout a week, until comp would just turn off/power down instantly, it would keep on working fine after the restart. about two days later after it started to occasionally power down, it would not boot into windows: right after the windows 7 blue welcome screen it would turn off (at least the safe more worked). i decided to uninstall the nvidia drivers trought the safe mode, since they loade right at the time when comp would power down. that ficed the problem, untill i would install new drivers again (driver sweeper was used before doing so), it would turn off exactly at the same point. I reinstalled windows using the upgrade option ( all the programs and setting were remained). After that i was able to play games and fold again, for one day. yesterday it powered down 2 times, after the lest time the comp was left in that state. now, this morning, when i tried to turnn it on i was greeted with corrupded bios screen, which was then restored using the back up chip, but it would still not boot into windows. so i decided to fix it by uninstalling the nvidia drivers in safe mode, which worked. after booting into windows i decided to go back into safe mode, use driver sweeper, and install older whql drivers, thinking it was a driver roblem. while rebooting, right after the bios post, the comp powered down and tried to repower itself, but only couple of fans and hard drives would spin up for less than two seconds. now all my computer does is power ing those 2 fans and 3 hard drives which are connected dirrectly to the motherboard.

sorry for the long wall of text, here is the short(er?) version:
-comp started to power down after a week fording on two cards
-fixed by deleting drivers in safe mode ( to get into windows), and windows upgrade ( to reinstall the drivers)
-worked for a short time, started to power down again. bios got corrupted, fixed from back up on the mobo.
-the above fixed was tried again, but without the reinstall.
-was able to get into windows (just like before).
-after next restart, to get into a safe mode to completely uninstall drivers and install older one, it power down right after bios post.
-now every time i try to turn it on, it cycles through power on, off every 2 seconds, for 2 seconds, providing power only to the things connected directly to the power supply ( 2 fans, 3 hard drives)

i am thinking that the mobo is dead, even though the power and reset buttons are lit up
Old March 15, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Uninstall the gtx 570 and try again
what kind of PSU are you using? it could be the root of your mobo issues
Old March 15, 2011, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

i tried with jsst gtx 570 and gtx260, both options do not work, i cannot even get into the bios
Old March 15, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It does sound like your mobo is dead but it would help to know what PSU you have to know if it could be a different problem.
Old March 15, 2011, 12:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

sys specs are:
e8400
gskill 1000
p5q-e
corsair tx750
Old March 15, 2011, 12:31 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

yea, it loods like the mobo to me as well, as the power still goes to the dirrectly connected fans( even if it is for a couple of seconds). when i get home tonight i plan on putting it all apart, hopefuly something is just shorted.
Old March 15, 2011, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So your PSU should be okay I am not an expert on this subject so I can't help you much but if you can find somewhere to test parts you should see which ones work.
Old March 15, 2011, 12:34 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

testing part individually will be a problem as this is the only computer i have at home, and none of my friend are computer friendly . the worst part is that i really need comp for studying as i have 2 tests this week
Old March 15, 2011, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pull out ram and try each stick individually in different slots.
Old March 15, 2011, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

are the drivers for the video cards the same or are they different? I am only guessing that they are different so what might be happening is the drivers would work for one card and only partially work on the other card in which would cause the video cards to conflict each other and the motherboard that you are using.