Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2011, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If it fails at memtest, what to do? Must OCZ give me a new one? They cn't say I overclocked it because it never went over 2000MHz. It alwayed stayed underclocked.
Old March 12, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFighter View Post
Why memtest and not the wmd? What are power rails??
Each set of volatge coming from your PSU are called rails (3.3, 12, 5, etc) If the voltage being supplied is to low or to high it can cause instabilities. Usually you don't want it to flucate more than 10% + or -.

Old March 12, 2011, 01:09 PM
Banned
F@H

ubcd is your frend

could be anything, really. drop aida64 in there and check voltages and temps.
if nothing catches your eye, then look at the mem settings, its possible the mobo
is forcing something the sticks dont like? after that go with the aforementioned
memtest, and see what gives.
Old March 12, 2011, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Marvell 88E8056 and Insmell X58 don't play nice make sure you have current drivers

make sure you get correct OS version, 32 or 64 bit driver

up date lan first then chipset and reboot after each update
Old March 12, 2011, 07:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Why not run it at stock speeds and then see if you have the same problem, if not, you know its your overclock.
Old March 12, 2011, 09:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i guees most of people asnwering can't read the OP, he said he's still BSODing at default clock and the problem started after several weeks being ok.
Old March 12, 2011, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can tell you that BC2 freezing with a DRRRRRRRRRRR sound is caused by onboard audio and punkbuster having issues. It's a very well known bug, and to my knowledge there is no fix. Play in Non-pb servers to test this, try a usb headset with onboard disabled, or get a sound card.

It looks like you're also having hardware issues as well, and I believe the two are separate issues.
Old March 13, 2011, 07:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

mkultra, that is why i suggested he test the RAM. Even if he's running at stock speeds he can still BSOD if there are bad sectors of RAM that the computer is trying to access. I had this problem with OCZ RAM a few years ago, turned out to essential be DOA. I ran memtest86, found out it had issues and the next day i had it RMA'ed back to them.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have had this problem twice in the past.

The first time it was RAM. Any reputable manufacturer will replace. Memtest will confirm if it is memory.

The second time it was the video card. RMA'd to BFG and never got replacement as BFG went under. If you have a spare vid card change it out.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
mkultra, that is why i suggested he test the RAM. Even if he's running at stock speeds he can still BSOD if there are bad sectors of RAM that the computer is trying to access. I had this problem with OCZ RAM a few years ago, turned out to essential be DOA. I ran memtest86, found out it had issues and the next day i had it RMA'ed back to them.
and that's why i teold him to test each sticks individually, MEMTEST is not an end all be all test.

for me swapping parts is much more accurate then running software test, but to each his own

my comment wasn't directed to you, but asking about oc and thing he already tried, while the OP takes the time to write it in fricking BOLD