Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2011, 06:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default ATI Crashing, What happens to you?

Well, it looks like I'm fighting an interesting crashing problem.

I'll have to post a picture later of what it decided to do. But basically when my wife was on the computer beside me, she started watching a video Full screen and the screen went black, the sound got distorted, and I got a traditional ATI dump.

When restarted, windows reported the driver had stopped responding twice.
So, I un-installed the driver 11.1 I think.
After the un-install I rebooted, and sure enough the screen was now all distroted, blocky, multicoloured etc etc.

Rebooted again, and then it looked normal. Installed the latest driver now. So far okay, but I want to know what you guys experience when you get a Driver crash? Is it the same?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 9, 2011, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there was a windows update! caused me lots of fun today. crashing getting into windows.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've got an HP Elitebook with a crummy HD 3650 card. A few months back, if I did anything video intensive, I would be greeted with artifacts up the wazoo and a VPU recover. I thought this was a driver issue with xp as it never occured under ubuntu but after recently reformatting to W7/Mint, it is now happening more than ever, not to mention under both Windows/Linux. I'm convinced the card itself is on its way out and that may be something to consider in your position as well. Hope you get it sorted out!
Old March 9, 2011, 09:13 PM
Banned
F@H

furmark usually settles if the cards a goner or not

also, st, when the screen gets weird, shut down lcd, power it back up.
or switch imputs. or do an alternate login, see which fixes it. have a larger sammy over
here that sometimes decides to take a crop, so rebooting it makes it go away. at first i thought
the gpu pair or at least one of them were going, since under linux it happens too.
Old March 10, 2011, 07:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

I just bought an ASUS HD6870. It is an open box thinking what the heck, since it was the last unit. First time I have seen a complete blue screen just after Windows was installed and it happened a couple more tmes yesterday with one being a complete purple screen.

It happened again this morning, first boot. It got to log in screen for about a minute and blue screen came out as I logged in but sound was still there. I will try another input and see what happens.

Old March 10, 2011, 01:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've been having some wierd stuff happen to Punk, so don't feel alone this card is 2 months old, and probably 20-30 hours of use.

Dan - Rebooting the monitor won't works since it clicks off first and flashes blue (No signal) then suddenly back to life for 1 sec before the BSOD.

Right now as it stands, 11.2 is holding stable, but who knows.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 10, 2011, 02:43 PM
Banned
F@H

k, glad you sorted it out,for now :)

punkz, try a live cd, see what gives.
Old March 11, 2011, 10:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

History...
-I installed 11.2 to start with.
-Tried to install 11.2 again this morning. Fail. Had to go safe mode and ATI comes back saying "Failed to load detection driver". Removed old drivers using driver cleaner.
-Found a new driver off Guru3D, 11.4 (8.84). Installed and seems to be fine. Crossing my fingers.

*Spoke too soon. It seems like it doesn't like going to sleep. It BSOD'd after waking up with "atimkpag" or something error.

Last edited by punk_zappa; March 11, 2011 at 01:14 PM.