Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2011, 08:59 PM
Rookie

At this point, there's little doubt left in my mind that it's hardware (grrr), requested a RMA from newegg and hopefully a replacement will make me a happy gamer once more.

Thanks to all for the help - VERY much appreciated! (and I learned a bit too)
Old March 9, 2011, 07:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like your cards is toast. But for the sake of trying...use different pci-e power cables, assuming you have more to choose from. Also I would probably try and month or 2 older driver...ya never know.. Also did you try download just the driver, no CCC?
Old March 9, 2011, 09:20 AM
Rookie

Yep - tried all those things and more. I knew the PCI-E power cable was good, since it powered my old card no problem, and did swap cables anyways. Also tried a variety of driver/software combinations with same results every time.

I kind of knew from the start that it was a dud card - but hated the prospect of doing an RMA - denial can be a powerful influence in my life.

The declining frequency of the card starting up correctly confirmed what I already knew. Frustration overcame denial I guess.

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: For future reference - RMA came back from Newegg the other day. Experience with them was excellent. New card has worked perfectly thus far (knock on wood). Have yet to hear back from Powercolor.

Last edited by Epimetheus; March 20, 2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Solved