Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2011, 11:43 AM
Rookie

Default file transfer speed issue - need help SOLVED

Hi everybody,

I recently bought a D-Link DIR-655 Gigabit wireless router for use in my home network which consists of 2 computers both equipped with Gigabit network adapters. Both computers are wired to the router via CAT6 patch cables and set to auto negotiation. Both computers are running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

When I transfer files between computers, one is transfering at a speed between 91 and 122 MBps (that's Mega bytes, not mega bits) while the other only transfers at 3 to 4 MBps.

If I bypass the router and instead connect the two computers using a CAT6 crossover cable, then both computers transfer files at the 91 to 122Mbps speed range.

I've researched slow transfer speed issues and have experimented with enabling and disabling the networks adapter settings. I've tried switching cables, switching ports on the router...to no avail.

Could anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Thank you.

Last edited by crapshoot; March 13, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old March 6, 2011, 11:50 AM
Rookie

Having the same problem.
Old March 6, 2011, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you sure that QOS service is not enabled? That's the first thing I think of is QoS as it will cap your file transfer speed.
Old March 6, 2011, 01:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are they both the exact same OS machines, exact same firewall settings on the pcs including anti-virus? All of these can be factors as well.
Old March 6, 2011, 01:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Whats the duplex setting on the nic cards? Maybe manually set the computer you are having issue with to Full Duplex and see if that helps.
Old March 6, 2011, 02:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe one computer has a very slow hard drive? Remember, file transfers relying quite a bit on how fast the hardware can write and read. And if one computer is doing something else, then the hard drive will perform slower.

Could also be the NICs though. Just because it's a Gigabit NIC doesn't mean they're equal in quality.
Old March 6, 2011, 06:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
If I bypass the router and instead connect the two computers using a CAT6 crossover cable, then both computers transfer files at the 91 to 122Mbps speed range.
If it where the drive speed the problem would show up when he tried this...
Old March 6, 2011, 07:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
If it where the drive speed the problem would show up when he tried this...
Could be something was accessing the drive though...like a scheduled virus scan or a defrag. Who knows really.
Old March 7, 2011, 10:29 AM
Rookie

Hi and thanks for the numerous replies.

I uninstalled the QOS packet scheduler service but it makes no difference. I tried changing the duplex and it makes no difference. Both systems have the same OS, anti-virus (which I also tried disabling) and firewall settings. The only setting that improve things a little bit is disabling Flow Control. It goes from 4MBps to 23MBps. I tested file transfers while no other tasks were being performed. And again, when connecting the machines with a crossover cable, both transfer at the fast speed (range of 120MBps).

Thanks again for the help.
Old March 7, 2011, 10:49 AM
Banned

Personally I really dont trust wireless, but did you try to change the location, what kind of range/obstacles are in the way?