Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2011, 10:59 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New build - Win 7 freezes while in media center but...

Win 7 freezes while in media center but I can access the hard drive through the network. While watching TV on Win Media Center it will freeze, mouse, keyboard all frozen, ctrl+alt+del does not work BUT from another computer I can watch movies that are on the frozen PC's hard drive so the network is still running...go figure. Makes me tend to think the vid card is freezing but I've never heard of that...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the parts I bought (except the case):
PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
Mainboard - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU - Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960
RAM - Kingston HyperX 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 KHX1600C9D3/4G
Vidcard - EVGA 512-P3-N987-TR GeForce 9800 GT HDMI 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
TV Tuner 1 - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner / Encoder 1229 PCI-Express x1
TV Tuner 2 - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner 1213 PCI-Express x1
OS - MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
CD/DVD - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Old March 6, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

are you saying that when mediacenter is running it freezes up, or are you saying that when mediacenter is running and you have accessed it from another pc that the pc that has mediacenter running freezes but you can still watch your media through the networked pc? to me ,and I am only guessing here, you might not have enough ram maybe shut down some of the other things that your media center pc isn't using.
Old March 6, 2011, 02:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Run the WD data lifeguard tool and scan your drive. I had similar issues where system would keep freezing here and there for a second or two, no BSOD just lock up and then continue on, Bad Drive. Also check your memory, but usually with RAM you get BSOD or error messages.

WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Caviar Black
Old March 6, 2011, 04:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I need to say this, the computer is not mine, I built it for someone and it's at his house now but my neck is on the line as I chose the parts and built it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
are you saying that when mediacenter is running it freezes up, or are you saying that when mediacenter is running and you have accessed it from another pc that the pc that has mediacenter running freezes but you can still watch your media through the networked pc? to me ,and I am only guessing here, you might not have enough ram maybe shut down some of the other things that your media center pc isn't using.
it freezes when he's watching something in media center and while it's frozen, he can still access it from another PC. So is seems that the pictures is frozen as well as the mouse and keyboard but the HDD, network and mobo still work. I've never heard of just the picture freezing....
As far as memory goes, I messed up on my post and didn't mention how many sticks he had, he have 3 of those, 12gigs, I'm sure that's enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
Run the WD data lifeguard tool and scan your drive. I had similar issues where system would keep freezing here and there for a second or two, no BSOD just lock up and then continue on, Bad Drive. Also check your memory, but usually with RAM you get BSOD or error messages.
WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Caviar Black
My first thought was memory also, I've never used the hyperX before and I'm a little weary of it but as you said, I should get a BSOD if that were the problem.

He didn't think running the WD data lifeguard test was necessary as the hard drive is accessible through the network when the PC is frozen (well not really frozen, just the mouse keyboard and screen). He said he ran it all day today and no freezes but if it does freeze again I'll have him run the WD tool just to make sure.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? mouse, keyboard and screen frozen but hard drive accessible through the network??
Old March 6, 2011, 06:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For sure he can access the drive over the network WHEN the computer is frozen?

Or is it, he can access the computer over the network without any issues but it freezes time to time?

If its the first then I dont have a clue, the second could be the drive because the media isnt the issue - whatever the system is trying to access while watching the media (ie, system files, the virus scanner), may be sitting in that bad area.
Old March 6, 2011, 07:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

yes, he can access the drive over the network while the PC is frozen....
Meanwhile, the UI is frozen solid, ctrl+alt+del don't work, alt+tab don't work and hitting the windows key does nothing, mouse, keyboard and picture/monitor frozen, network working fine....

That's why I'm here, need some expertise. I can almost always figure out a solution for just about anything, but this has boggled my mind.
Old March 6, 2011, 07:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Its gotta be his video card. If it was RAM, CPU, Motherboard, HD, it would lock up everything, meaning no network access either.
Make sense that it happend while watching videos.

Try popping out the 2 tv tunner cards, maybe a conflict happening there. If it still happens try a different video card all together, or stress test his current one with MSI kombuster or similar tool. If you get artifacts, or better yet, it Freezes or crashes then you found your issue. Any stable card should be able to handle those test at standard clocks.
Old March 6, 2011, 07:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
Its gotta be his video card. If it was RAM, CPU, Motherboard, HD, it would lock up everything, meaning no network access either.
Make sense that it happend while watching videos.

Try popping out the 2 tv tunner cards, maybe a conflict happening there. If it still happens try a different video card all together, or stress test his current one with MSI kombuster or similar tool. If you get artifacts, or better yet, it Freezes or crashes then you found your issue. Any stable card should be able to handle those test at standard clocks.
I never heard of this happening but that sounds logical, it's gotta be the vid card. I forgot about the stress test. I have an app called "Video Card Stability Test" from "Freestone group". I used to use it on every build but I've gotten lazy. I'll have him run the stress test. If that passes, then I'll have to see if he feels confident enough to take out the TV cards. Otherwise I'll have to have him take back to me, it's just that he lives over an hour away.......

Anyway, I have something to work on now. I'll post my findings here and if none of that works, well, I don't know what....
Old March 8, 2011, 03:45 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well, he's been running it non-stop since my last post, recording, playing, working the snot out of it and it hasn't froze.

I was telling him, I've had installs of WinXP that were quirky, freezes crashes and stuff, but I'd use it till I would have time to do a format/reinstall and in a week or so all of the sudden everythings working great. Kind of like it just had to break in. I'm not saying that happened here, but who know, I've seen it happen before.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I've passed the suggestions on so if it starts messing up again he'll know where to start.