Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2011, 04:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default NGTX460 Hawk 1g

Hey guys,

I just recently purchased this card from here. It has worked great, but now I am having some issues. I can't tell if its the game or the card. It was running it fine before, until I changed my main hard drive. I changed to WD Raptor. Installed windows and installed the beta version of the nvidia driver 266.77. The game I usually play are gran theft auto games. All of the sudden after a couple of mission the game gave me an error and stopped. I uninstalled the driver and installed 266.58 the one that is on nvidia site. Uninstalled the game completely and re-installed, same problem.

I ran some Hard drive tests, used sea tools, but no problems there. I formatted the hard drive again and re-installed windows and installed 266.58 driver.

My question is, are there any good programs out there that can test the stability of my video card? I have ran 3dmark vantage and also 3dmark 11 but they are just benches, and card doesnt give any problems then. Unless i overclock crazy.

Any suggestions? Please let me know.

Thanks
Old March 5, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_friendly_gamer View Post
Hey guys,

I just recently purchased this card from here. It has worked great, but now I am having some issues. I can't tell if its the game or the card. It was running it fine before, until I changed my main hard drive. I changed to WD Raptor. Installed windows and installed the beta version of the nvidia driver 266.77. The game I usually play are gran theft auto games. All of the sudden after a couple of mission the game gave me an error and stopped. I uninstalled the driver and installed 266.58 the one that is on nvidia site. Uninstalled the game completely and re-installed, same problem.

I ran some Hard drive tests, used sea tools, but no problems there. I formatted the hard drive again and re-installed windows and installed 266.58 driver.

My question is, are there any good programs out there that can test the stability of my video card? I have ran 3dmark vantage and also 3dmark 11 but they are just benches, and card doesnt give any problems then. Unless i overclock crazy.

Any suggestions? Please let me know.

Thanks
Furmark is good to test the limits of a GPU :D
Old March 5, 2011, 05:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

Yep... Furmark really stresses the card, so if there are any issues they usually show up within a few minutes... i.e. artifacts or pixelation.
Old March 5, 2011, 05:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys, I rap Fur mark 1.9.0 for like 5 minutes at 1920x1080p. It looks like it ran fine, couldnt find anything crazy. Is there a way to get results or something? There is a bench thing that runs for like 60 seconds. I think my card is ok. I was just scared:(
Old March 5, 2011, 05:57 PM
Banned
F@H

go back to 260.99 or something

furmark ok? then the cards fine. if you run some vantage or whatever and its fine there?

no worries :)
Old March 5, 2011, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have to say that you guys are wrong. I actually have a 460 here that will pass a day long of furemark, even more ATI tools and day of 3DM in loop. But will fail in some game. Swaped with an almost identical card, issue is gone. Your best bet would be to put the card in another system you have or a friend system for few day under heavy gaming with the same game to see if the issue is still present.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 5, 2011, 06:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks Dang!! I dont know what has gotten into me lately. I just tried to beat some colleagues at work that are hardcore gamers and I am not. I just play grant theft auto games, and command and conquer 3 and red alert 3 pretty much. They go and bench with their fancy cards, so I over clocked my video card with msi after burner and this hawk edition has tripple voltage clock. SO i clocked all the way up to 960 mhz and memory to 2400 so when I ran the test, the screen started twitching and stuff lol and then the driver stopped. SO since then I havent over clocked it at all. And after the hard drive, I was just worried, but it appears to be working fine.

Thanks all, HARDWARE CANCUKS is the shiznit, as you guys are always there to help!
Old March 5, 2011, 06:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Martin, Thanks. You know I am going to do that. I am going to lend my card to a friend, who actually games lol. To see if he encounters any issues there. Again thanks!!!!