Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2011, 07:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If it is being seen as 25GB and not its correct size...yank it from that system and try it as a "D" drive in another rig. IF it is still seen as only 25GB, DL the OCZ Toolbox, do a secure erase and reformat it. IF it still is seen as only 25GB, see if the firmware is upto date (probably wont be as OCZ is FAST on firmware releases) and update it. Secure Erase it AGAIN, reformat it. IF its still seen as only 25gb...its a bad SSD. RMA it.

Hope that helps. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 4, 2011, 08:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

@ akg...

after testing it out in even a second computer, it's not recognized by the bios in either. Windows doesn't even notice it's existence, so I can't format it, S.E. it, or do anything to it. On either system. The only reason I know it's reported as 25gb is because for some reason, it appears in the connected devices in bios, but nowhere else. I've tried achi mode, just for sh*ts and giggles even tried it on Sata/IDE modes; still nothin. After doing some research, it seems it's a pretty common occurrence, and I"m leaving it to it just being a defective drive and exchange it at the computer store I bought it at (or failing that, RMA it with OCZ).

Needless to say, my opinion of ocz products has just plummeted.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old March 4, 2011, 08:08 PM

If its not being seen by two systems...its a DOA SSD. It happens and can happen to any SSD mfg'er...just like a DOA hdd. NOW if the 2nd SSD comes back DOA...then you can hate on OCZ as that WOULD be odd (like most things, if you are not 100% sure in brand A...dont buy Brand A again as they could be the best in the world at Quality Control...and you still wont trust them. Peace of mind is priceless). :)

If its brand new and you got it from NCIX send it back to them and they will gladly replace it. :)

Damn sorry to hear that it happened to you, nothing worse than first SSD being a lemon to sour your POV on them. Hopefully the replacement is perfect.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 4, 2011, 08:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

I hope so too. I was skipping in my door today, like a kid in a candy store. I guess, only to realize that it wasn't candy, it was roofies. :/
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

Old March 4, 2011, 08:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So you just bought this? Is there an "E" in the product code? If so, you'll probably want to ask OCZ for a 32nm-based one instead of the 25nm-based drive. Better performance and lifetime I believe with 32nm flash.
Old March 4, 2011, 08:54 PM

Yup, 32nm == 5K write durability and MORE chips for better performance

-E "new" model == 3K write durability and LESS chips for WORSE performance...and it will only show (IIRC for the "120GB" model) as 118GBs. Any way you slice it the -Es are not a good bargain.

Old March 4, 2011, 09:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

I can't find the product code anywhere. All I can find are a PN and SN number on the sticker that has the barcode on the drive itself.

Old March 4, 2011, 09:19 PM

Look at the part number on the SSD itslef. It should be (off the top of my head...might be slightly off on the naming scheme) "OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G" or "OCZSSD2-2VTX120G"...if its got an E in it....you are lucky that its DOA as you wont be hit with a restocking fee for sending it back!

Old March 4, 2011, 09:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

It's an 'E' drive, then...

Old March 4, 2011, 09:32 PM
Banned
F@H

round of applause!

make sure you get your mind on it when you dont swear at them, politely.

btw, both systems you tried it on are intel based right?