Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2011, 12:47 PM
Rookie

Default Windows 7 freeze/crash when moving external files + some weird glitches.

Hello everyone. First time poster here, hope everything is in line.

Built a new PC with a friend, seemed to be working fine.
I have my old files on a WD 250gb external, went to transfer everything over to this new one, but it would always freeze/crash at a random time during the transfer.
I then noticed the Action centre saying the drivers I had for a Marvell controller were not compatible. I tried to upgrade but it never worked properly.

Formatted the computer, re-downloaded SP1 + additional updates and drivers for USB3.0 and the marvell controller, no issues with them so far, but after I installed the USB3 drivers the PC froze/rebooted again.

I finally managed to move all my files over in smaller batches (instead of 158GB at once I did it in 1-6gb pieces depending on the folder).

Left the computer overnight with some random apps open (a non connected teamspeak 3, and a few calculator windows as well).
Came back in the morning and the PC had rebooted itself again and I got the "Windows did not shut down properly" black screen on boot.

Cobrajr122 and myself have been working on these problems via teamspeak for 2 days now (built the PC on Sunday). So far we have

- updated the BIOS to the newest version.
- ran MEMTEST via USB stick, no issues.
- used PC Probe II to check the PSU, no problems.
- used RealTemp to check all temps inside, no problems.

since then I have changed some power options, mainly 'turn off HD after 30 minutes' -> I changed it to never. Turned the screen saver ON and turned off "shut off display after 10 min".

Any ideas to see what could be causing reboots are much appreciated.

System specs:

Win7 Pro 64bit
Mushkin 12gb ram ddr3 triple channel
WD 1TB Caviar Black
Asus Sabretooth X58 mobo
Corsair 750W PSU
ATI Radeon 6850
i7 950 3ghz

Also went into the events centre, one was labeled as 'possible memory leak'

Let me know if you require more details.

- Sam.

Last edited by MrEvolution; March 2, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old March 2, 2011, 06:14 PM
Top Prospect

Keep a lookout for updates to the mobo drivers and software tools. I also had BSODs issues with my new and recent ASUS board when it went to power save mode, so I disabled that and had no issues since. Often, new motherboards get shipped out without optimal drivers for the chipsets, so updating the BIOS may be insufficient.

Looks like you have one great rig there. Have fun, and report back, I always like to check out how it turns out.
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit
Old March 2, 2011, 07:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Perhaps disable the USB3.0 and Marvell controllers in the BIOS and avoid using them.

They're secondary PCIe chipsets which aren't as reliable as the ones built into the Intel chipset. Stick to USB2.0 and SATA2.
Old March 2, 2011, 07:42 PM
Rookie

its been idling for about 2 hours and the past been on some games....seems to cooperate...
we will see how she idles overnight.
Old March 3, 2011, 10:41 AM
Rookie

Didn't make it through the night.
Sigh.

another has told me this:
"If you've not removed the installed chipset drivers from marvel I would. I'm running win7 64bit and installed the intel chipset driver and had the same problem as you've described.
I reverted back to the win7 default drivers originally installed and everything has been solid for 6 months.
The memory leak message leads me to believe it's the chipset drivers as well."

Im going to try this, what do you guys think?
Old March 4, 2011, 11:26 AM
Rookie

Scratching my head now...just generally confused.
All my stuff has closed (such as word/excel) or signed out (MSN/Steam)
Is there some new "feature" that auto closes stuff for you when you dont use it for X amount of time?

I checked the error logs and have nothing for the past 24 hours.
Am I missing something here?
Old March 4, 2011, 11:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Your computer likely restarted then.

Like I said, don't use the Marvell/NEC (USB3.0) controllers. Go into your BIOS settings and disable them. Quite likely your problems will go away.

Plug your hard drives into the Intel SATA ports (the black ones) and all your USB devices into the black/red ports.
Old March 5, 2011, 09:10 AM
Top Prospect

Also check the power management options. Win 7 does have these options to save power, and include shutting down hard drives, power to the CPU even... you can configure it in the control panel. It happens to me that my system gets unstable when it wakes up. I have to reboot to be able to game if I use those settings.
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit
Old March 10, 2011, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Just an update, seems win7 was downloading updates and rebooting around 3:30 am, Ive just been shutting it down overnight until I actually change the settings. Been problem free so far, save for 1 random crash while I was installing a program and watching a video from the HD.
Thanks everyone.