Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2011, 01:44 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default It all started with Game crashes....

First, my computer specs:

Case: Antec DF-85 Dark Fleet
Motherboard: M4A88TD-V EVO USB 3.o (Bios version 1601)
CPU: AMD Phenom Thuban *6 1100T 3.3 GHZ (3.7 Turbo)
GPU: Sapphire HD Radeon Vapor X 5870 1GB
RAM: 2 sticks GSKILL DDR3 4GB (8GB total)
PSU: OCZ Fatality 750w
Keyboard: Saitek Cyborg V.7
Mouse: Razor Naga Molten Edition
Monitors: Eyefinity triple display/Benq 22''
Drives: Hitachi 1tb, Samsung Story Station 2tb external, OCZ SSD 60GB (OS boots of it)

I built the rig myself, installed Vista. Then I bought the Win7 upgrade and successfully installed it. Computer has been running well for about a month. I installed Steam and Half-life II, Two Worlds. I Installed Crysis from a Cd. Two Worlds II runs fine always. However, Half-Life II and Crysis I can play for a while until it freezes with an obnoxious noise and then I get BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death).

These blue screens are becoming more frequent and now happen even when not playing games.
My temps are as follows:
CPU: 48C
Graphics card: 50C at idle (around 70C running games)
Motherboard: 28C

I have done ram tests, disk checks and all past. Windows suggests it is a hardware problem saying RAM/CPU/PSU are top suspects.

I have tried running these two games in 32-bit modes, with admn. privileges but to no avail. I have tried re-installing. Nothing.

I believe my system is becoming unstable. I have two .DMP files I can email a tech-savvy person. I am debating taking the whole thing into Futureshop as they have a 150$ fix-it or free system. But I am hoping to do it myself. I have had a variety of STop errors with most saying:
ntfs.sys
address FFFFF880012BDA3C base at FFFFF8800121B000, date Stamp 4a5ba14f

I built this system to convert to PC-Gaming. If these are the constant headaches with computer gaming, maybe the consoles are a better deal =( This software/driver stuff is beyond me.

Please help!

--Ted
Old March 1, 2011, 05:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With ntfs.sys cited for the issue I'd first check the hard disk. Maybe a previous crash happened when Windows was writing to the disk and caused an error.
Use the steps here to run CHKDSK, Check your hard disk for errors
You don't have to check "Automatically fix file system errors" or the other box unless you find errors on the pass without boxes checked.

As for your game crashes, try out some more thorough tests here: Overclocking tools of the trade
From that page, download OCCT and run the CPU: Linpack test for >6 hours and see if your system survives it without bluescreening, and then try the GPU:OCCT test for the same amount of time. The program does monitor temperatures while it does these tests, so make sure you can keep CPU temp below the 65-75C range, and GPU temp below 95C.

If temps are shooting through the roof, check to make sure nothing is clogged with dust. That's one possibility as to why your crashes are happening more frequently.

Don't worry - gaming PCs are not meant to crash constantly. We'll work to find whatever is causing your crashes
Old March 1, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As was said above the first place to look in the ntfs.sys error is your OS drive.

You also mentioned the this is an upgrade to Win 7, if that is the case I would go out and just do a clean install of Win 7. Of course before that you should do some more extensive testing of your OS drive, just to be sure that it is not dying. As for what tool to use for the ocz, I'm not sure maybe someone else can chime in on a good ssd tester.

Old March 1, 2011, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1) Make sure TRIM is enabled (should be one of the first links on google as for a how to)
2) Check the SMART status (AHCI mode needs to be enabled for TRIM to work, SMART status may need to be 'turned on' manually).

Don't forget that your SSD, HDD, mobo might all want a firmware update (this may or may not solve your problem).

You can always look into backing up basic files and doing a fresh re-install as a last resort.
Old March 1, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

also if you have another computer or your computer runs long enough to run the dmp files through the windows debugging tools might shed some more light on specifically is causing the ntfs.sys to cause the BSOD. Or alternatively you could post the DMP files and someone here could do it for you.

Old March 1, 2011, 04:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I tried posting the dmp files, but its says "file not compatible". Id appreciate someone who knows better to decipher their meaning. BTW, this all started happening after I upgraded the CPU to a six-core from a four core. Could this be important?
Old March 1, 2011, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikan S-087 View Post
I tried posting the dmp files, but its says "file not compatible". Id appreciate someone who knows better to decipher their meaning. BTW, this all started happening after I upgraded the CPU to a six-core from a four core. Could this be important?
you'll probably need to put it in something like a zip or rar file. It's possible. When you upgraded the chip did you do a fresh install of windows.

Old March 1, 2011, 05:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hey guys/gals, thanks for your replies so far =)
Okay, I re-installed the 6-core chip and applied a thin layer of thermal compound . I may have put it on too thick--so it didn't hurt to do it again. My motherboard has a MemOk button which lights up if it detects a RAM issue--it isn't lit up.

I checked all my drives and they passed the check with no errors. I restored my computer to a previous setting.

I have a 3-display eyefinity rig and a 5870 GPU plus a very luminescent case--is my 750w PSU enough in your opinions?

Going to do the tests you guys recommended--I'll post back soon....
Old March 2, 2011, 01:47 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikan S-087 View Post
Did you update your bios before you installed it
Check to see if your bios supports that CPU
If it doesn't you have to put the old CPU in and update it, then you can put the new one back in
Old March 2, 2011, 06:24 PM
Top Prospect

Also check for mobo drivers updates, and software tools that come with it. I also had BSOD issues and had to turn off the suspend mode from the power options to prevent the crashes - on wake, everything went wrong. This is probably the most important step (mobo driver updates), since there are often chipset driver updates being issued on a regular basis, especially for fresh new lines of motherboards.

The "chkdsk" command can come in handy to fix any corrupt sectors on a drive when crashes occur while files were being read, but it looks like you might have fixed that. Check with HDD manufacturers for software diagnostic tools they might have, which usually include fixing errors. Updating the video card driver is also a good idea.
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit