Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2011, 05:14 PM
Rookie

Default New build won't start up

Hey, I literally just finished building my second gaming rig and it seems that I've run into a problem.

After I hit the power button on my case, the PSU will light up and spin for half a second. After that, the lights go out and the fan stops spinning.

Everything seems to be connected properly but what's strange is the only thing that lights up / works when I hit the power button is the PSU. The case fans / heatsink fans don't do anything.

Any help? Build below

Case - Armor A90
Mobo - Gigabyte 880GA UD3H
CPU - PhenomII x4 955 BE
RAM - 4gb G.Skill 1600 DDR3
GPU - Gigabyte 6850
PSU - Corsair GS600
Old February 24, 2011, 05:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAsian View Post
Hey, I literally just finished building my second gaming rig and it seems that I've run into a problem.

After I hit the power button on my case, the PSU will light up and spin for half a second. After that, the lights go out and the fan stops spinning.

Everything seems to be connected properly but what's strange is the only thing that lights up / works when I hit the power button is the PSU. The case fans / heatsink fans don't do anything.

Any help? Build below

Case - Armor A90
Mobo - Gigabyte 880GA UD3H
CPU - PhenomII x4 955 BE
RAM - 4gb G.Skill 1600 DDR3
GPU - Gigabyte 6850
PSU - Corsair GS600
make sure the RAM is in the right slots, I had that problem with my friends build. Stupid me. They have to go in the white slots, not the blue.
Old February 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
Banned
F@H

did you connect the 24 pin and 4/8 pin power connectors?

use onboard graphics. take out the 6850

only connect the motherboard power connectors

if still no go try another psu, if still no go

take it out on your table/desk and try it there

also if a ram stick is not properly in you could get this. i take it you seated cpu properly right?
Old February 24, 2011, 06:26 PM
Rookie

UPDATE - I just tested my PSU and Mobo on a crappy computer out front. Turns out they both work fine.

I think there may be something wrong with the way I have my mobo set up in my Armor A90.
There are like 6 little bumps that stick out of the case and that's what I have my motherboard set on top of.
These bumps are part of the case and are therefore metal, and is probably what's hurting my system.

Can anybody have a look at the Armor A90 and tell me how I should have this set up? The case comes with 5 standoffs and there are like 12 holes. If I put a standoff in one of the bumps, the motherboard is lifted in a way that it doesn't line up with the IO Panel. Doesn't this mean that I'm forced to lay my motherboard on the metal bumps?

Thanks again
Old February 24, 2011, 06:31 PM
Banned
F@H

some mobos come with those 'bumps' where you dont screw anything but the mobo onto it.

putting even the shortest of thingie there can and will flex/crack the pcb when you tight it down
on the other ones. its good and bad. good cuz saves you some time bad if it happens to be in a place
where your mobo has a custom sink underneath or anything like that
Old February 24, 2011, 06:36 PM
Rookie

So now that I've confirmed that all the parts are working. What should I do since the system doesn't actually work inside the case? My motherboard touching the metal bumps seems to cause everything to not work and you seem to be saying it's supposed to touch them?
Old February 24, 2011, 07:00 PM
Banned
F@H

yes, some of those bumps there are normal, just see that you either have used the correct standoff height for your case
or take out the ones that are not necessary.