Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2011, 05:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Prime will run as long as you want. 12 hours is the norm to call a board as "stable".
If I run 9 hours now, and then 12 hours tomorrow (changing slots) - would this work be sufficient?
Old February 24, 2011, 05:56 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, plenty.
Old February 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
Banned
F@H

to rule out cpu,mainly, you can run linx for 5-10 mins. if no problem then let prime go
linx is a bit more touchy,usually, when there are problems. and leave it use all the ram it can.

edit : it also stresses the memory,memory controller,subsystems. so thats why its important that it doesnt fail them.
Old February 24, 2011, 06:23 PM
Rookie

Hi there,

Sorry it took this long to get back. Work has been crazy.

I think you are on the right track with the Prime95 runs.

Did you say that you got one stick working perfectly and the other would fail the tests all the time??? If that is the case, you probably have found your issue.
Old February 24, 2011, 06:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpieTM View Post
Hi there,

Sorry it took this long to get back. Work has been crazy.

I think you are on the right track with the Prime95 runs.

Did you say that you got one stick working perfectly and the other would fail the tests all the time??? If that is the case, you probably have found your issue.
No worries in the delay... I work a job with long hours, too.

Yes, the one stick if I place it in either slot by itself or with its pair, causes failure with Prime95 or Windows. If I run the one stick by itself, in Slot 0 (DDR3_1), the system seems stable. I was at about 85% on Long DST in Windows when my machine went to sleep and caused the test to fail. So, I restarted it. It's about 40% right now but no reboot or BSoD has taken place (and this is with the DVD and HDD attached).

EDIT: Long DST just successfully passed. I've since unplugged the DVD and HDD from the board and am gonna run Prime overnight.

**6AM EDIT**

Prime95 ran overnight with the stick of RAM in Slot 0 (DDR3_1) and I had to Ctrl-C the Torture Test after 173 tests in 7 hours, 3 minutes. 0 errors, 0 warnings. Now to do the same tests while I'm at work all day in Slot 1 (DDR3_2).

Last edited by adrianf74; February 25, 2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old February 25, 2011, 12:56 PM
Rookie

Default That is my final answer...

So, 9 hours, 39 minutes... 240 torture tests later... Slot 1 (DDR3_2)...

0 errors, 0 warnings.

That said, the OCZ RAM _is_ the culprit.

@ DAN, @ Charlie: Some guy named Adrian also says to stay away from the OCZ stuff, too. Apparently it's bad for your health.

The good news is that OCZ is out of the desktop/notebook memory business... so this should be easier in time. Now I just have to wait to hear back from OCZ and the local computer shop about what happens next.

Thanks to Dan, Charlie, Sharpie, KaptCrunch and anybody else who I've forgotten to thank. You guys have been a great help in finalizing the pieces of the puzzle. I know you guys enjoy troubleshooting stuff but I really appreciate all of your input and help. @SharpieTM: Thanks for your suggestion in running Prime95 in Ubuntu. I actually liked the interface and am thinking about putting a dual boot on my PC when I finally build it - I want to try and use it more often because it has a lot to offer with little overhead.
Old February 25, 2011, 01:16 PM
Banned
F@H

looking good! :)

drop by the folding forums here if you wish once your set with the new ram.
just sell the rma replacement(do mention the troubles though :P) or get your money back if they ever offer you such way!
Old February 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf74 View Post
So, 9 hours, 39 minutes... 240 torture tests later... Slot 1 (DDR3_2)...

0 errors, 0 warnings.

That said, the OCZ RAM _is_ the culprit.

@ DAN, @ Charlie: Some guy named Adrian also says to stay away from the OCZ stuff, too. Apparently it's bad for your health.

The good news is that OCZ is out of the desktop/notebook memory business... so this should be easier in time. Now I just have to wait to hear back from OCZ and the local computer shop about what happens next.

Thanks to Dan, Charlie, Sharpie, KaptCrunch and anybody else who I've forgotten to thank. You guys have been a great help in finalizing the pieces of the puzzle. I know you guys enjoy troubleshooting stuff but I really appreciate all of your input and help. @SharpieTM: Thanks for your suggestion in running Prime95 in Ubuntu. I actually liked the interface and am thinking about putting a dual boot on my PC when I finally build it - I want to try and use it more often because it has a lot to offer with little overhead.
Hey, you're welcome. I think we have all been there trying to figure out a computer issue that had us stumped.

I run ubuntu as my main OS at home and have a dual boot laptop and work computer. I find it does make some things much easier than Windows 7, while lacking in other aspects in comparison to Windows. If you do want to spend some time with ubuntu, then I recommend downloading ubuntu-tweak. It certainly helps when you start out with ubuntu.

Cheers
Old February 27, 2011, 07:52 AM
Rookie

Now that this was solved, I ended up returning the case, mobo and psu because I had the Patriot Sector 5 G 2x4GB memory. Ended up with the Shuttle SH55-J2 barebones.

I'm in the process of running Prime95 on it for the next 10 hours or so to see how it does but I've had to do absolutely zero changes within the BIOS to get everything working. (Patriot says that their product can work perfectly fine at 1.5V or 1.65V). All I had to do this time around was to choose the optimized defaults.
Old February 27, 2011, 10:50 AM
Banned
F@H

okee...remember. do a quick linx first, if no issues there let prime rip overnight, if you have the patience.