Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2011, 09:35 PM
Rookie

Sad Trombone

I think that says it all. It took a matter of seconds for Prime to come back with an error message:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress .txt file.

Definitely means something isn't right. I wanted to read the stress.txt file but the computer rebooted on me while I was trying to read it.

So, back to square zero.

I'm leaving it off for the night and am going to bed.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:18 PM
Banned
F@H

figures.

just for kicks disconnect hard drive completely.

swap ram again

go mental, i mean, go manual on the timings by spd, and give the ram some juice.
Old February 23, 2011, 11:41 PM
Top Prospect

Other suggestions from a grounding perspective:

1) It's possible that all these reboots caused the detected hardware fault. Maybe you have dirty power (surges) in the room/house you're in, since you don't see a pattern in the restarts. Can you try your PC at a friends place? If you cannot recreate this problem, you might need a UPS (uninterrupted power supply).

2) Check the solder pads (contact) on the back of your motherboard to see if it's grounding out. They should not be making contact with the metal plate in your case.

3) Check that you've installed the exact number of standoffs for your mATX board. If there's an extra standoff touching the back of the motherboard, this can cause grounding issues. Also make sure that each screw has good contact around the mounting holes for the board.

4) Main grounding for all motherboards is the PSU. Test the PSU in a different computer if you can. If not, maybe you can take your PC to a local computer shop and ask nicely. Sometimes you won't get charged!

Edit: Just realized you checked #2 and #3 already from previous posts. My bad.

Last edited by Stock; February 23, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old February 24, 2011, 04:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
figures.

just for kicks disconnect hard drive completely.

swap ram again

go mental, i mean, go manual on the timings by spd, and give the ram some juice.
When I was going to bed, I decided I'd actually disconnect my SATA chain outright which would unplug both the HDD and the DVD.

Swap RAM in which capacity? And increase Vtt?
Old February 24, 2011, 04:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
Other suggestions from a grounding perspective:

1) It's possible that all these reboots caused the detected hardware fault. Maybe you have dirty power (surges) in the room/house you're in, since you don't see a pattern in the restarts. Can you try your PC at a friends place? If you cannot recreate this problem, you might need a UPS (uninterrupted power supply).

2) Check the solder pads (contact) on the back of your motherboard to see if it's grounding out. They should not be making contact with the metal plate in your case.

3) Check that you've installed the exact number of standoffs for your mATX board. If there's an extra standoff touching the back of the motherboard, this can cause grounding issues. Also make sure that each screw has good contact around the mounting holes for the board.

4) Main grounding for all motherboards is the PSU. Test the PSU in a different computer if you can. If not, maybe you can take your PC to a local computer shop and ask nicely. Sometimes you won't get charged!

Edit: Just realized you checked #2 and #3 already from previous posts. My bad.
1) Power should be clean; the condo is 6 years old. Power cord runs through a surge protector and every other PC (store bought - laptops, desktops, netbooks, etc.) have worked flawless. I want to rule this one out.

2+3) Correct. Since I've got to unplug the HDD and DVD, I'm gonna quadruple check these tonight when I get home.

4) I don't have a spare PSU or second comp to test it in. If I make the trip back to the shop, I'll be eating 15% of what I paid and returing it at this point. :(
Old February 24, 2011, 07:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I didn't really read most of this post.. but if you suspect grounding issues, pull the motherboard out of the case and run it on the box it came in.. other than that, i'd be looking in the direction of the (1) power supply or (2) bad motherboard.

I know it's hard to test things without having known-working spares around. Too bad you didn't have a spare power supply or RAM to test with.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 24, 2011, 07:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I didn't really read most of this post.. but if you suspect grounding issues, pull the motherboard out of the case and run it on the box it came in.. other than that, i'd be looking in the direction of the (1) power supply or (2) bad motherboard.

I know it's hard to test things without having known-working spares around. Too bad you didn't have a spare power supply or RAM to test with.
I'm not suspecting grounding issues, really. That was suggested by one of the posters. I'm leaning towards the memory (been reading on various retail sites - newegg, ncix - about the issues people are encountering with them despite MemTest running clean). Apparently several people have commented about them not playing nice in dual channel mode so I might just pull one out and run on its own to see that fixes things.

But barring that, I'm tempted to run the mobo outside of the case and on top of the antistatic bag it came in to see if that works.
Old February 24, 2011, 08:28 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Lay the board on top of the cardboard box it came in. No need for the anti-static bag.
Old February 24, 2011, 08:45 AM
Rookie

Thanks 3.0Charlie. Will do that when I get to that point.

I think I'm gonna try removing the connection to the drives first, then running 1 stick at a time, and then try removing it from the chasis and run it in the box. I think that's the best attack plan at this point.

At this point, because the M.I.T. settings are "good" (according to OCZ Help as well as the folks here at HWC), I'm looking at doing a return on the system for the parts I can and maybe consider going another route (such as a Shuttle SH55-J2 with different memory).

I've been doing a lot of research on the OCZ memory and have been reading some pretty scathing things about compatibility / not being able to run in Dual Channel mode / etc. even though MemTest86+ passes fine for 24+ hours. I don't have any spare memory kicking around otherwise I'd try that to prove that's the issue. The BSoD/Kernel Power errors I've been getting are also referenced in some of these posts as well.

Old February 24, 2011, 11:07 AM
Rookie

Latest Update:

Been speaking with a Bench Tech at the computer shop the parts were purchased from. He's willing to bet, based on what I've told him, that the RAM is the culprit. He has stated that there have been "some compatibility and stability issues" with OCZ.

He's suggested also swapping (or disconnecting) the HDD and DVD as well as changing out the SATA cables and also which connector's being used on the motherboard. He also likes the idea of testing a single module on its own to see what happens. He's also recommended what Charlie3.0 has said as far as "removing the motherboard from the case and build(ing) a skeleton on the Mobo box to check."

He doesn't feel that it's a grounding issue as it wouldn't have posted let alone gotten to either OS. He also ran the gammut of antivirus, malware, driver rollbacks, NTFS corruption but since I'm not installing anything or downloading from the web (but rather from a machine that is very secure and has no malware), he's back to the RAM itself. When I've Googled the RAM KIT and either "Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area" or "000000050" a whack of messages from people in all sorts of languages are shown. I figure I've learned a bit while doing this, if nothing else, but after I run the last few tests (or can't run them), it's safe to say what the issue is.

I'll post an update early this evening when I've tried some of the last things I can do.