Old February 23, 2011, 05:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
get vcore up a bit. qpi vtt maybe 1.19

qpi clock ratio 32

memory multiplier try 6 or 8

cpu and pci-e clock drive try 800-900 mV
My QPI/Vtt was up at 1.29 and I've dropped it back to 1.19 as per your suggestion. Multiplier at 8 drops the speed of the ram down to 1066 (not a huge thing in my application). I've also tried 800mV for the CPU and pci-e clock.
Old February 23, 2011, 05:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You can run Seatools in DOS. W7 may be crashing because of the HDD long test.

Nothing particular is showing from those BIOS shots.
W7 is crashing regardless of what I do or don't do. It's sad, really. I'll try downloading the DOS version and doing a boot from USB key (I really need to buy a couple more for all these tests).
Old February 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
or imcompletely wrong and the penguin guy is right again :)
Seems like there might be some previous left over feelings here from another case. :)

I don't really care who's right, just that I'd like to see some stability and not see my system crash every five-to-twenty minutes.

**EDIT** For the record, still getting a reboot with the new settings. Same Kernel-Power crap.
Old February 23, 2011, 06:06 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Running the Ubuntu Live CD is a great tool to troubleshoot hardware issues. Once burnt, keep the CD. You'll use it again.
Old February 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

swap out optical drive and test another cd reader
Old February 23, 2011, 06:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpieTM View Post
Adrian,

Try to figure out whether it's a hardware issue or a software issue (drivers). First thing to try is to rule out hardware problems.

Go and download the latest Ubuntu (Linux) CD from here: http://ubuntu.virginmedia.com/releas...ktop-amd64.iso

Burn that to CD and put it into your DVD drive. Boot of it and once a screen comes up that says "Try Ubuntu" or "Install Ubuntu", just select the "TRY" method. It will bring up a full-fledged desktop with all the drivers installed already (since you don't have a discreet graphics card).

Now, download Prime95 for 64 bit Linux: http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/mprime265-linux64.tar.gz , using the Firefox browser that comes with Ubuntu. It will be saved to 'Downloads' and you can find it by clicking 'Places > Downloads' (from the top panel).

Right click the file and select 'Extract here ...'.

Now open a terminal ('Applications > Accessories > Terminal') and type
Code:
cd Downloads
and then
Code:
cd mp*TAB*
(*TAB* means press the tab key). Now you should be in the directory of the extracted prime95 program. Now type
Code:
./mprime

It will now ask you whether you want to join Gimps. Type 'N' and press enter. Next type how many threads you want to run, and since you got the i3-540 I would assume you got HT running too. So type '4' and press enter.

You want a blend of tests, so next type '3' and press enter. Finally press 'y' and enter, and it will start the hardware test.

Now, if it reboot suddenly, you know it's a hardware issue, since both Linux and Windows had the same issue. Let it run overnight and if it's still up and running, it's most likely a driver issue. My money is on your Realtek NIC driver. I bet if you put into google 'Realtek RTL8111E reboot' you will find what you are looking for (I didn't do that yet).

Hope this helped. (Sorry for the links not being active. First post, so I couldn't make them links)

No worries... I appreciate this idea. Found the easy way to create a bootable USB stick. I'll do that instead. Since I'm using wireless and I don't know if my realtek (monoprice) wireless usb key will be found, I'll download Prime as well in advance and keep it on the same USB stick.

I'll likely have to try this tomorrow as the other half will be home soon and I can't be sitting here playing with my build all night. I was tempted to try linux, anyhow, so I'm thinking this could be worth seeing.

Also decided that I wanted the Intel version... so I grabbed that instead. ;)

I'm using wireless for my internet connection so I've simply disabled the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet device under device manager. I'll see if that helps. NOPE - It didn't. :(

Last edited by adrianf74; February 23, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old February 23, 2011, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
swap out optical drive and test another cd reader
Not even using it or pointing to it... so I'm wondering how it could be the culprit. :S
Old February 23, 2011, 06:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf74 View Post

Also decided that I wanted the Intel version... so I grabbed that instead. ;)

I'm using wireless for my internet connection so I've simply disabled the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet device under device manager. I'll see if that helps. NOPE - It didn't. :(
If you grabbed the 'Intel' version (32 bit???), then make sure you also grab the right version of prime95 (32 bit). The rest is the same.

It was just a guess with the Realtek driver, since I got am ASUS board just a couple months ago that rebooted randomly too. I finally updated the Realtek driver and it stop doing it (actually had to go back to the Vista version of it).

Oh, and there would be a way to create a USB 'Live CD': https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...From%20Windows
Old February 23, 2011, 06:36 PM
Banned
F@H

not only sharpie here proceeded with the live linux thingie, but he also explained it properly on the prime95. very nice.

you can also disconnect the hard drive completely, just in case.

also you could burn a few different flavours, like fedora, linux mint,etc. gives you access to yet another backup/tool in case
you have doubts. i have a laptop here that likes fedora,ubuntu makes it run like crop.

ps no other case, im wrong sometimes and have no issues admitting it :p
Old February 23, 2011, 07:27 PM
Rookie

@ DangTX and @SharpieTM:

Thanks for the explicit info on running Prime under Ubuntu. I can't even keep windows up wiithout that Power-Kernel reboot issue happening repeatedly so I'm looking forward to trying this to see what happens.

I'll update tomorrow at some point. Cheers.