Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2011, 01:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Having issues, oc'ing my msi gtx 460 768 on P55-ud3

Hey guys,

I was able to my oc video card to 850 mhz with no issues and I used the first slot for video card. However, to make room I put it in bottom slot and now when I oc it to 850 from 675, it doesnt work, it still uses the same frame rate as when its on original 675. Is this normal, as my mobo is Cross fire and not sli, so if I am using an nvidia card on the 2nd slot it won't over clock? Please let me know if you can.

I appreciate it!
Old February 21, 2011, 04:20 PM
Banned
F@H

could be the cold one that got to me lol, but i got a bit lost.

basically in one slot you could oc the card, but you cant in the other one?

whats the difference? a few mhz or a whole lot?

could be the lower slot providing slightly less voltage? but that shouldnt be an issue

since you got the pci-e cables hooked up right?

edit : a pci-e slot is a pci-e slot. be it on a crossfire or sli certified mobo its the same.
Old February 21, 2011, 04:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Dangtx the great!

See this is how I noticed the difference, I have this program 3dmark vantage, where we bench our systems( a couple of guys) and there was a huge frame difference, for the first GPU test, I had scored 47 fps when I had my card in the first slot, and when I had moved it on the bottom one, I only scored 37 fps or so, and I score those on default settings.

But I wanted to make sure that there is no difference in the slots, I couldnt find anything, after I had tried searching.

I am going to go home tonight, and try it again, this time I am gonnna wipe out the drivers clean and do a clean install all together and then try again.

Can;t wait to get my MSI 460 Hawk which is way faster, I bought that from a nice gentleman here as well.

Thanks again Dangtx.

PS. I may not make sense at times, as I am learning and hey you learn from mistakes huh! Tell me about it, I broke my very first motherboad 6 months ago, it was lga 775 and I had a bought a new q9400. So when I took out my old chip, I tried air dusting everything and I saw something was stuck where the pins were( i didnt know those were the pins, as the old 478's dont have pins, pins are actually on the cpu's) so I took a qtip and tried taking out a dust particle and guess what I broke so many pins :(((( I was upset, but I learnt eh!
Old February 21, 2011, 05:00 PM
Banned
F@H

probably one is 16x the other one 1...err..4x?

that could probably be it, but usually the difference is shown with more eye candy on/higher resolutions

ps great? on the contrary! :p
Old February 21, 2011, 05:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

You are absolutely right right Dangtx the Great, I finally found this site and one is 16x and the other is only 4x, no wonder. I thought I broke my brand new mobo too lol. Thanks again!
Old February 21, 2011, 05:19 PM
Banned
F@H

dude stop the great part lol.

its normal in benches, for fun load your game and look at fraps, see the difference there,
probably smaller.