Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2011, 09:25 PM
Top Prospect

Default Corrupt Windows Folder, Boot Error

Hey, i was on my computer checking out my task manager then i got a pop-up "tskmgr.exe corrupt file, in C:/Windows/en-us" Basically it was telling me that the C:/Windows folder was corrupt then i checked the cskdsk.exe. I think its called anyway it told me there was corrupt sectors in my hard drive, then i shut down re-started then i got this boot error code "0xc000000f" gave me two options but i tried both and i cannot get in.

Then i tried my windows 7 install disk booting/via dvd drive but then i got only a Windows Install dialog, so i am stick. But thank goodness i backed up all my data, yesterday.

My hard drive is a Seagate i bought from NCIX and i heard that this model of 500gb hard drive (bought February 2010) hard some issues??? (Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB )

So where do i go from here? Reinstall, get a new hard drive? I'm stuck but those options are available to me since i backed everything up. Not my programs though. I still like to know a way to recover my data without a total wipe though.

Thanks
600W PSU OCZ
GIGABYTE MOBO

Last edited by Toyuko; February 20, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old February 20, 2011, 10:27 PM
MVP
F@H

You only get the Reinstall Option? No option for Repair? Because that should get you the option to do a System Restore from your recent backup.

Try it again to see if you get other options besides a Reinstall with the Win 7 Install DVD.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?
Old February 21, 2011, 06:16 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
You only get the Reinstall Option? No option for Repair? Because that should get you the option to do a System Restore from your recent backup.

Try it again to see if you get other options besides a Reinstall with the Win 7 Install DVD.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

When i backed up, i never used the back up utility, i just dragged and dropped my files. So thats out of the question. When i put in my DVD and try to start it regularly i cannot get on it but when i change the boot setting to CD/DVD drive i get the reinstall dialog. Either way i get two options and both of them come to the same error message. I will post pictures if that helps.
600W PSU OCZ
GIGABYTE MOBO
Old February 21, 2011, 09:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like your hard drive might have died or is dying. If that's the case, there's nothing you can do to get it back and working. Unless you spend enormous amounts of money that is for data recovery.

I've had very bad luck with Seagate 7200.12 1TB hard drives (2 died, and 1 that I got back is already dead within hours), and even my 500GB drive has some re-located sectors (from the SMART data). I'm not saying Seagate is all bad, but I surely won't be buying them anymore.

Anyways, if you can get us some pictures of the screens you see, that may help. Or if you want to record some video and throw it up on YouTube or something.
Old February 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Did this pop up occur when you were using task manager or from something in the system tray?
Old February 21, 2011, 10:14 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Sounds like your hard drive might have died or is dying. If that's the case, there's nothing you can do to get it back and working. Unless you spend enormous amounts of money that is for data recovery.

I've had very bad luck with Seagate 7200.12 1TB hard drives (2 died, and 1 that I got back is already dead within hours), and even my 500GB drive has some re-located sectors (from the SMART data). I'm not saying Seagate is all bad, but I surely won't be buying them anymore.

Anyways, if you can get us some pictures of the screens you see, that may help. Or if you want to record some video and throw it up on YouTube or something.
Figures and yeah all get some pictures/video up of the screens i get during boot.

Quote:
Did this pop up occur when you were using task manager or from something in the system tray?
When i was in the Task Manager. "tskmgr.exe"
600W PSU OCZ
GIGABYTE MOBO
Old February 21, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Grab UBCD 4 Dos and run Seatools on the drive and see what happens.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:47 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Grab UBCD 4 Dos and run Seatools on the drive and see what happens.
Alight i got UBCD 4DOS and Seatools. We'll see what happens.
600W PSU OCZ
GIGABYTE MOBO
Old February 21, 2011, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyuko View Post
Alight i got UBCD 4DOS and Seatools but how do i add Seatools to UBCD?
It should be already included with the default UBCD loadout. Boot from the UBCD ISO/CD and look under hard drive, it should be there.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
It should be already included with the default UBCD loadout. Boot from the UBCD ISO/CD and look under hard drive, it should be there.
Alight i found it. What tests should i do?
600W PSU OCZ
GIGABYTE MOBO