Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2011, 07:21 PM
Rookie

Default No Display-Fans and lights turn on-FIXED

Hi,
My original problem was my computer randomly shutting down without any error messages or anything like that, as well as not being able to turn it back on until after a while, seems like the longer I leave it turned off, the more time I get to leave it turned on before automatically turning off. Anyways so I decided to open up my computer and take out the heatsink and everything else out, and clean the dust off. After fully dusting off the computer I plugged everything back in and now the fans, and lights turn on, and the power supply fan slowly spins before finally spinning after a while. I get no display or any usb mouse light. I tried taking out the CMOS battery and then putting it back in, Also I get no beep when I take out the ram. I tried taking out the video card and plugging VGA unto motherboard. Also the hardrive, it spins so dont think its a hard drive issue.

When I took out the cpu it broke the thermal paste off, so I was wondering if that has to do with anything?
Also I am thinking if it might be the power supply and me needing more then 500 watts.

My Computer Specs:
Assus M3N78-VM
OCZ StealthXStream 500 watts P/S
OCZ 2x2gb DDR2 Ram
AMD Phenom x4 9600
Evga gtx 460 768 mb
Lg DVD Drive
Western Digital 1tb Black Edition
NZXT Guardian 921 case

EDIT: Thanks for everyone who helped me but now my problem is resolved, it was the Power supply all along.

Please Help!
Thanks.

Last edited by ak21; April 13, 2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Problem Fixed
Old February 15, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What power supply. look at the sticker on the power supply what is the rated voltage. ? what is the model number. ?
Old February 15, 2011, 07:36 PM
Rookie

sorry thought I mentioned it, its an OCZ StealthXStream 500 watts.
Attached Images

Old February 15, 2011, 08:00 PM
Banned
F@H

snatch the psu out, connect the green and any of the black with a paperclicp or something and electrically
tape it a bit so it dont jingle around, attach a crap load of fans hdds cd's anything that will eat some juice, waterpump whatever

and plug the power cord into it.

also having a 10 dollar psu tester can sometimes help weed out issues. its not perfect, but better than nothing

either way, ocz is good with rma if it is the psu.

ive seen some 3.3/5v rails gone, the fans spin because they run off 12v,usually.

touch the ram, nb/sb hs' do they warm up?
Old February 15, 2011, 08:55 PM
Top Prospect

Your PSU is fine/gives you a lot of headroom. I suggest trying what Dangtx said...try and rule out whether or not it died.
Old February 16, 2011, 06:47 AM
Top Prospect

From your first description, at first guess I'd think it was your CPU temperature causing shutdowns. Try going into your BIOS and checking the Health/Temperature configuration and setting the shutdown threshold to something like 65 C. Also try installing the Asus temperature monitoring software, or something like CoreTemp with logging turned on to a file on the HD.

I had a user have a similar problem, and I ended up cleaning the gunk off the CPU and HS, applying some TIM, and blasting out the dust from the fans and everything was back to kosher...though you may have a totally different issue.
Old February 16, 2011, 05:30 PM
Rookie

How would you tell if the powersupply is working perfectly from that method? guessing its not the powersully, Anyways I already cleaned the dust off the heat sink, now I am just going to buy thermal paste. One thing, should I buy Arctic Silver 5 3.5g($7) or Via Silicone 1.5g thermal paste ($3). Never heard of Via, thats why I am asking. Also is ArcticClean worth buying?
Old February 16, 2011, 06:26 PM
Top Prospect

Just get the cheapest one, there's not much difference between TIMs. Personally I'd grab a cheap tube of MX-4 or MX-2 for $6. Easier to clean up and no cure times =).

Arctic Clean is a waste of money, just use some 99% Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol and a some lens paper, or Q-tips I suppose in a bind.
Old February 17, 2011, 04:29 PM
Rookie

I just ended up getting MX-002 which actually ended up costing more ($11) then arctic silver 5 (since MX-002, bought from store). So will I just put like 2 grains of rice worth of thermal glue?
Old February 17, 2011, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oldie but a goodie for tim application:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=0

By the way tim is not supposed to be "glue". If it is you have a problem.