Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's a new one for me! ...so the Black Edition is not supported??? (very odd since that motherboard supports the Phenom 9950, which IIRC was only available as a black edition).
With an issue like that it's hard to determine what was damaged without having parts to swap with.
Old February 23, 2011, 02:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Sounds and looks like AMD is just trying to screw you on this one man...good luck with it.
Old March 9, 2011, 05:36 PM
Rookie

thanks everyone for your messages, I rma'd back the cpu like 4 days ago, but I was wondering if I do get a new one back, would I have to buy a new motherboard/cpu?
Old March 9, 2011, 05:59 PM
Banned
F@H

if your other components are fine, no. any chance you could drop it into a mobo at a pc store or something
just in case? a post will be fine before you drop it in your pc.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:26 PM
Rookie

ok, the thing that makes no sense is that its been working for a while now, almost 2 years, thats why I don't believe its an incompatibility issue. It still has warranty so it would be cheaper/better to rma it back then to pay a pc store to test it. I already rma'd the cpu back now I am going to rma back the motherboard, after I package it.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:31 PM
Banned
F@H

allright, go for it and let us know! :)
Old April 8, 2011, 08:38 PM
Rookie

Sorry for the very late reply but I rma'd back the motherboard and cpu and got them both back, for the cpu, it passed all tests for the motherboard they just replaced it, but I believe it passed the tests, and I am still having the same problem. I believe its the power supply, though I thought it wasn't in the beginning. The reason why I think this is because of process of elimination and I also did the paperclip test that was suggested here, (I know I should have done it before), though I had no electrical tape, and it didn't spin, nothing did. Plus, the psu fan doesn't spin even when connected unto the computer. I also did a psu wattage calculator on different sites, and I would say it averaged out to something like 550 watts. I am thinking of just buying a new one, even if it ends up not being the psu, I still need to upgrade, right?

Please give me your opinions, but if I do buy one, I was thinking of these two, and any others you guys may suggest in my price range (under $100).

Current 2 I am thinking of:
Antec Truepower New 650W Modular Power Supply $70: NCIX.com - Buy Antec Truepower New 650W Modular Power Supply ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready 120MM PWM Fan - Antec - TP-650 - in Canada

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W $50 ($30 M&R): NCIX.com - Buy OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply - OCZ Technology - OCZ600MXSP - in Canada

Last edited by ak21; April 8, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old April 8, 2011, 09:24 PM
Banned
F@H

the antec hands down although maybe try another corsair? :)
Old April 11, 2011, 03:50 PM
Rookie

OK, I was thinking of buying the Antec TruePower New 650W from Canada Computers so no shipping cost there, for the same price. Would you know any good Corsair powersupply for the same price range? I found the Corsair TX650 V2 650W power supply but it ends up being like $95 after shipping (no tax included either), which I don't think is worth the price difference. I would also pay the extra difference if it was a higher wattage.
Old April 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
Rookie

Sorry for double posts., but thanks to everyone who did their best unto trying to resolve my problem, but I have finally fixed my pc, it seems all I needed was a new psu. I ended up buying the Antec TruePower New 650 watts. As well today seems to be my lucky day, today only, without even knowing it when I bought the psu, it has a $30 rebate in addition. Anyone looking to buy a new psu I suggest they look at this deal, the instant savings ends tomorrow: $99-$30(instant discount)-$30 (MR)=$39.99.

RMA'ing the motherboard and CPU seems to have come in handy: 1) I ended up getting a great deal on a psu since I waited for the mobo and cpu before I went further 2) I got a brand new mobo (same model but still new). (have to show my happiness).