Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2011, 01:47 PM
Top Prospect

Default Steelseries 7H Problems - Really Need Advice

I'll try to keep this short. I got the Steelseries 7H Analog Headset on September 16th, 2010. Beautiful headset while it lasted. The cup opposite the mic started cutting in and out mid-December, and eventually stopped working all together. I sent it in for an RMA, paid the $15 shipping, got it back a month later.

It worked for about three weeks until maybe a week ago since I got it back, and now the cup opposite the mic has just stopped working (It's a problem in the contacts somewhere in the headset, I can get it to work for a split second by shaking vigorously).

I don't want to pay $15 to ship it to them and get a broken headset back again. I emailed them asking for a refund. I was told that I had the option of sending it in and receiving a different headset plus a mousepad or Ikari Optical instead.

I am really not looking for a Steelseries headset (And quite frankly, anything "gaming") anymore. I have a good mousepad and great mouse I am very happy with.

Can anybody advise me on what to do next? I'm completely at a loss, because as of now I have a broken headset for which I payed $145 sitting on my desk.

Thank you so much for reading.

Edit: I also can't get any money refunded at all. Only exchanged for another headset plus another small product (Of which I have no need, because I have everything but a headset).

Last edited by Pine; February 14, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old February 14, 2011, 01:58 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Most companies won't offer a refund. Especially a few months later. I would get them to front the shipping costs however. I have had issues before with other companies and they gladly accepted the cost of the shipping after multiple returns on the same item.
Old February 14, 2011, 02:06 PM
Top Prospect

I'm dawning on the realization that I'm probably not going to get a refund. After some poking at them, they said they can reimburse $10 of the $15 it costs to ship it, but that's not really the big problem. my main gripe with this situation is that I'll send it in, wait a month, and get a headset back that will just break within a few weeks. Then I'll send it in and wait another month to get it. Repeat.

I really can't keep doing that forever. It would be just great to have a headset that I can actually use for more than a few weeks at a time. I did pay kind of a pretty penny for it
Old February 14, 2011, 02:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Really? That's kind of shocking. Any company I have dealt with has sent me a pre-paid shipping label.

I understand what you mean. I once had to RMA a piece 4 times before I got one that was fully functional.

Hopefully that isn't the case here and hopefully the next one you get will be flawless? Is this a known issue for the headset?
Old February 14, 2011, 02:13 PM
Top Prospect

The thing is, a few other people have had the same problem and RMA'd it to no avail. The other problem with it is audio crossing. If I'm listening to music, for example, and talking into the mic, the mic will pick it up (Not because of sound leaking out of the cup, but because it's poorly designed). Other people have had this problem, and RMA'ing it did not fix it.

I really need a refund, because it's not really my fault the product isn't all too well-designed. They're telling me I can't get one, and I really have no idea as to how I should proceed...

Last edited by Pine; February 14, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old February 14, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know of any place that offers a refund that much later. I highly doubt it's going to happen, I would give it another shot if they pay for the shipping.
Old February 14, 2011, 04:25 PM
Top Prospect

Yea, I'm doubtful of a refund as well. The headset breaks into three pieces and it has a modular cable. Both of these features are just waiting to break the headset, so I doubt it's going to change with a new headset. They only pay $10 of the $15 shipping, and I'm afraid if I get a broken headset back again (For which I'll wait a month), I'll then have to wait another month to get it exchanged for a Siberia V2.

I guess I'm just debating between RMAing it and going right to a Siberia and losing some money...
Old February 15, 2011, 05:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Headphones
Frequency response: 18 28.000 Hz
Impedance: 32 Ohm
SPL@ 1kHz, 1 Vrms: 112 dB
Cable length: 1 + 2 = 3 m (9,8 ft.)
Jacks: 3,5 mm
Microphone
Frequency response: 50 16.000 Hz
Pick up pattern: Uni-directional
Sensitivity: -38 dB

looks to me headset connector not suited for the task and is failing its perpious or the voice coils are weak an failed if sound is sratchy when speaker working. how hooked up? sound card or onboard.

take the Siberia V2 offer
Old April 15, 2011, 08:28 AM
Rookie

got same problem here, im kinda hoping there is a way to get a stock of those mini usb cable's
caus i think thats is just the main problem gladly to buy a bunch of those to then not need to ship each time ect
or when garantie is expired that you dont need to throw it away like all my other headsets caus the ware broke down like now ....

specialy bought this headset for the usb feature as i thought i had same typs of cables laying arround
(PS3 cable's & so on seems there usb is a bit bigger :()
Old August 23, 2012, 08:26 AM
Trial Member

I have the same problem. befor my headset and mic were getting crackly and echoey and weird. so they sent me a replacment cable after ages of bartering on their ticket system. that worked, then after a few weeks the right earphnes stoped working. and they have sent be 2 replacments over a last couple of months and still same problem.
its crazy that there isnt a guide to fix this somwere on their site as its such a common problem? the steelseries site has a forum section with only one post init. with 6500 views and no replys..? shitest company ever.
its been so long since i bought this that i dont think they are going to replace it or refund it and i dont even want this hunk of crap headset anymore.
if i could open it and get it working again though that would be great! is there any guides for this or a similar headset when the right earphone isnt working? cheers